Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis Alba Luxurians

I bumped into a clematis grower many years ago, who told me he pruned certain varieties (like my Alba), mid Februray (he called it the valentines day massacre, so he wouldn't ever forget to do it), and since then I have always done the same to mine. It is doing very well. I just wonder though, why does this group need to be pruned then? Mine has rather tatty leaves here and there and I'd love to be able to give it a bit of a chop before Februsury, also to allow some light through to other plants. Will I harm it or will it flower less, if I prune it now instead of February, or can I tidy it up now and prune back harder in. Feb? No idea. Thank you!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Those that need hacking back before the season starts are hacked back by me at any time that's convenient during the winter

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • image Thanks nut, knew I could rely on you for some sound advice! I may just do that.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd get  second opinion though Jess. I'm a bit slapdash with the gardening image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • image So far I only have your wise words to go by

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

The reason for cutting it back is because it flowers on new growth, so you remove the old to force it into making new. You don't actually have to, if left it would still flower, but at the top of the plant. C. Lloyd used to grow two of this type of Clematis together. One he pruned down and one he left. That way he got a tall Clematis with flowers all the way up the plant.

As to timing, it is done in February as that is a cold month, so the plant does not start to grow too early and have the new tender growth damaged. Not that it matters, we often do ours in November, just to keep the garden tidy. Later than February though is leaving it a bit short of time to grow. Though again, I have been know to forget and not prune ours back until the middle of March. It flowered the same as ever, just a bit later.

• Many thanks berg hill - I suppose doing it in November would be ok if I'm in London and the winter is mild. Then again, if it's a harsh one, the new shoots, as you saI'd, may be damaged by hard frosts. I think I may tidy mine up a bit now, as it got huge this year and is looking very scruffy....then prune it hard back as usual in Feb. thanks again, good to brainstorm on here image