London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
14 messages
07/04/2013 at 16:46

Found on my home from the gym today some branches of this clematis that seemed to have been ripped off so I thought I try to propagate them. From a quick google the best approach seems to be to cut back the leaves and then make a heal at the bottom of the cutting, dip it in rooting hormone and pop in a pot. Would this be what the consensus is and should I leave the pot outside in a sheltered position or keep it indoors until it has tooted. I probably have material for about five six cuttings.

07/04/2013 at 18:02

No advice. All mine have died. Lots over the years. Just give it a try. Good luck

07/04/2013 at 19:55

Here in Bristol they seem to do well. They have all gone into gritty compost and been put outside. Fingers crossed.

Managed two years ago to take a cutting from a blue clematis which is in a big pot, dies back every year but never produces more than two leaves. Very odd.

07/04/2013 at 20:32

I'm not much of a hand with cuttings. Keep trying though

09/04/2013 at 21:34

Take internodal cuttings of all clematis !  Cut the stem  about 1 inch from a pair of leaves with a sharp clean knife or blade, and cut away just over the leaves.    Remove one of the two leaves if they are a bit big, and push the cutting into compost so that the remaining leaf sits on top.  Make sure your cuttings are kept damp at all times, and leave somewhere warm but always shaded.   This used to be my main job - and I`ve rooted thousands !   Good luck.

09/04/2013 at 21:59

Sam, you've left yourself open for a lot of questions there

Mine hasn't broken so I can choose my time. When would you take the cuttings if you had a choice?

09/04/2013 at 22:37

Sam12 - an expert - fantastic !! You could end up being swamped by questions here !

I have tried the method you suggested last autumn - all are now officially deceased (got fed up waiting so pulled up to see what was happening - not a lot)

Are you meant to cover them with a propagator lid ?  And how long should it take for them to show signs of life ?  Will also be interested in your answer to nut's question about when is the best time.

How about running us through a masterclass ?  (or would that be too much like a busman's holiday)

09/04/2013 at 23:01

There are so many varieties !  Wait until the new growth has really got going and let it "firm up" a bit - the soft tips need to be discarded.  All my cuttings had the benefit of a misting system, and were in small poly tunnels inside greenhouses with bottom heat - NO not MY bottom.  Without all that help the secret is in patience and perseverance ! Keep them warm - a lid will help to keep the moisture in as well as keep the draught out, but shade is very important too - Not the airing cupboard you understand, just a good bit of shade netting should do it.

10/04/2013 at 07:02

Many thanks Sam.  Its the patience and perseverance bit that I think I am having trouble with !

10/04/2013 at 07:09

Great advice Sam -will be very useful for lots of people 

The shade bit is probably the most useful thing then as you don't always think of giving the cuttings heat but shade at the same time. I'll definitely remember that! I've tried same method with honeysuckle but  they didn't take so I'm guessing a little more shade would have helped there too.

10/04/2013 at 07:53

Thanks Sam

10/04/2013 at 09:04

i've tried quite a few times with little success, following much of this advice, but not using heat. When I have succeeded, it has been with a more mature stem with a junction and two stems growing out of that. The junction between them has rooted, if that makes any sense.

10/04/2013 at 12:47

From one grandma to another, your junction is the node, and that`s where the roots will emerge.  For some reason clematis like the node and just a little bit of stem pushed in to the compost.  Hydrangeas like to root in a similar way with inter nodal cuttings.  If you try rooting a whole trayful of cuttings, dont let the leaves touch.  The more little cuttings you pop in, the more chance you have that at least 50% should take !

Fairygirl,  honeysuckle should always be propagated at a cool time of day.  They need  to be cut to a node, and YES shade is really important if they are not to wilt.

10/04/2013 at 13:38

Thanks Sam-I'll remember that in future! That's definitely where I went wrong- I had a nice little array of them but shade with heat wasn't what I did! 

email image
14 messages