Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis for Windy Area

Poppy GirlPoppy Girl Posts: 36

I want to grow a Clematis on the front of our house.  The wall is South Facing but is very open, and as we live in North Lincolnshire the wall gets strong winds beating against it at times.  Which would be the best Clematis to grow in this area please?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

My garden is very exposed to winds from all directions.    I find Ciccolina, Etoile Violette, Red Balon and Red Robin do best in the most exposed bits and their flowers don't fade in strong sun.   You should also be fine with alba luxurians and caerulea luxurians.  If you have a lot of wall to cover, try Huldine.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Poppy GirlPoppy Girl Posts: 36

Thank you Obelixx

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Good luck.  I have all the above in my garden but many more which have shelter from other plants or trellis panels so they're not quite so wind blown - Sunset, Princess Diana, Betty Corning, Little Nell, Omoshiro, Westerplatte, mme Julia Correvon, Niobe, Blue Angel, Rahvarinne all cope with sunshine and don't fade. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • sunnysarahsunnysarah Posts: 62

Maybe choose one from the group 3 pruning range as they get pruned down to ground level each winter, so maybe miss most of the bad weather.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

a montania  type are very hardy and strong and can take most things.