Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis from seed?

Hi I am wondering if anybody had grown any clematis's from seeds? If so which type would you recommend and how did you do it? Am trying to have a go at growing all my plants from seeds if possible. Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Jem x

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Yes.  I did it once with seeds for Clematis tangutica Pinwheel.  Got loads of babies and gave all except one away and then mine died of cold.  Typical.

I might try again with my own sedd from other clems in my garden which I know to be hardy to -25C so would hope their babies would also be hardy enough for my garden.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I've grown clematis alpina from seed. I had a high germination rate too, and had a lot to give away.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I've successfully grown Clematis integrifolia and mandschurica (both herbaceous types) from seed which was quite easy, particularly integrifolia, which I've grown from seed made by my existing plants. Large flowered varieties are a different matter though as they tend not to produce many viable seeds and are harder to germinate as well as not coming true to type from seed.  Those take several years to mature to the flowering stage.  Commercially, all large flowered types are propagated from cuttings. However, there is always a chance of developing a new variety if you have the patience!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I found the alpinas very easy to grow, getting flowers in two years on some of them.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I must admit to never trying alpinas from seed, Alina.  Must give those a go - I have Frances Rivis which I think has some seed heads on at the moment, so looks like a new project! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

I have grown Clematis chiisanensis 'Korean Beauty' from seed - several germinated from a September 2010 sowing but few survived the winter - even when indoors !! One plant remained and was planted in the ground summer 2011. It has put on lots of young growth this spring and is now climbing upwards so I'm very pleased with its performance so far. I did try to germinate more from seed, obtained from a different source, earlier in the year with no success at all !!!! 

• Wow thank you all for all your comments, & experiences on growing clematis from seed. Will defo have a go at growing some from seed & also from taking cuttings.

Big thank you : ) Jem x