Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis Grp 3 Pruning - RHS says one thing, GW another

I have a few group 3 clematis (Princess Diana, Arabella and Etoile Violette) and wanted to verify when I should prune them.

The RHS website advises they are pruned in late winter/very early spring when the new buds begin to show, and then pruned to 1ft from the ground.  However this website suggests they are pruned now, and level with the ground.

Any thoughts on which works best?

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    I leave mine til spring and cut back to about 18 inches from the ground.

Other people have said you can cut them back now, mainly for tidiness, but don't do the full prune, as any growth buds you stimulate now will get clobbered by the frosts, so you need to have left enough of the plant to do the final cut (taking it back to 18 inches tall) when the spring comes.

Hope that helps
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I do what Chicky says.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I cut mine back half way in autumn to tidy them and reduce wind resistance and then do the full prune back to two decent sets of buds in March, just in case the top ones get clobbered by a late frost.  I also give them a good feed in spring.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Same as Ob. We do it now as the green growth on them will compost now, otherwise it has to go in the Council green waste bin.

• So it sounds like a bit of both then!  Thanks so much, I'll do that.