Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis id needed

DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Hi, I bought two clematis from Lidl for £7 a few weeks ago. One in a pink sleeve the other in a mauve one. They are both now flowering  and I wondered if anyone could id them for me. I'm thinking they should be  well known, easy to propagate  varieties....I'm really pleased with both. Hoping you can help!

• if the first one is pink it looks similar to my Hagley Hybrid and the blue H F Young. There are so many now I may well be wrong

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Thanks Rosemary, I agree with the Hagley Hybrid that looks spot on, thank you.  I'm not sure about the second one as the flowers are not as big but then it is a young plant....but as you say there are so many varieties now!

Thanks pansy face. The reason that I haven't gone to a web site is that there are just so many varieties to choose from. Quite often, on the forum, people that are up close and personal with popular plants can identify plants much more quickly and accurately - but thanks for the link image

• Why not ask Lidl ?

Good question .... none of the clematis came with labels just the colour sleeves to indicate the colour of the flowers. The sign just said 'summer flowering clematis!'

I'm very pleased with both but the violet one has put on  a lot of growth since I planted it and has developed a lot more buds. The flowers are not huge about 6cm across.

• Jojo1205Jojo1205 Posts: 11

Aldi are selling countess de Bouchard if that's any help for the lilac one? (I suspect they have similar suppliers!)

• H F Young is not summer flowering, that is Justa.

Thanks Jojo but the Comtesse de B.  is pink! 

Thanks  Richard  for the link  but my clematis has no bar in it. The buds look very similar though - they appear to be white at the edges( just like the photo) hinting at a white flower inside and then open as blue/purple !!

Following on from what Jojo said - Aldi are selling clematis in flower - 6 different named varieties . Only one of them is similar to mine -  Mrs Cholmondeley....what do you think? Could my purple one be her?