London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
8 messages
-
19/02/2013 at 21:18

Hi, I´ve bought some Clematis integrifolia seeds from T&M, and it´s been a

month since I first put them in compost in the fridge (for three weeks), and a week

since it´s in a warmer place. It has simply not budged! Should I soak the seeds

in warm water, nip some of the coat or what? Thanks for any suggestions.

19/02/2013 at 21:38

Yes, they can and do take a long time to germinate.  I bought exactly the same seeds from T&M as few years back but left them in a pot in the garden over winter.  The good news is that I must have a dozen or so plants now (any they're as tough as old boots once established), so all I can suggest is to keep fingers crossed and bide your time.

-
19/02/2013 at 21:54

Thanks, Bob. Can you post any photos? I have no idea what the seedlings should

look like...

19/02/2013 at 22:48

I'm no  expert on this, but as I understand it, February is the earliest they should be planted and only if there is no germination after 3-4 weeks do you need to place them in the fridge. Leave them at 3-5C for at least 2-4 weeks, then return to warmth (between 65 and 75F). They can be very slow to germinate and you just have to be patient and not throw them away. Hope you get some lovely results!

19/02/2013 at 22:57

I don't think I took any of theseedlings, but this is one of the mature ones (about 2yo)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18794.jpg?width=332&height=350&mode=max

-
19/02/2013 at 23:35

The plant looks lovely and worthy of some patience (something not much the

way I am!)

20/02/2013 at 10:27

This is another of the seeds I sow and chill outside through the coldest months and they germinate in the spring. At this stage  I'd give them alternate months, in fridge, in warmth and back again til something happens.

20/02/2013 at 18:04

Next time try a few in a zippy freezer bag, I use the 7 inch squares from Tesco, put a handful of damp medium vermiculite in the bag, put the seeds in and shake up, then seal the bag.  Don't forget to write details on the bag

Put it somewhere warm and dark, don't unzip the bag until you see the green shoots appearing, then prick out seedlings when big enough and re-seal the bag, they don't all germinate at once.

If the integrifolias are true species wild collected, which I doubt, they will be true to type, blue about 3 ft. high.

If the seeds are garden or nursery collected, you have a possibility of raising white or pink forms of integrifolia from the seeds, don't give up, they are easy to grow and are wonderful border plants.

email image
8 messages