Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis Montana Broughton Star

CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

Has anyone grown this particular plant and if so, did you like it?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

Fantastic.  Thanks Muddle-Up.  I've put it by the summerhouse where I'm quite riskily hoping that it will scramble through an old hedge - part of which is dead - part isn't dead but is dead ugly!! image  Might make cutting the living part tough but it's not formal so should be fine.

There's also a bit of diamond fencing that it can scramble over too.

Funnily enough it was quite shady due to two trees in next doors but one blew down so they took the other out too so it should get a bit more light now.  

Excited, yours looks lovely.

• ...........best of the montanas, in my opinion.  Raised at nearby Preston by the late, great, Vince Denny.

Wow, Richard, how weird.  I originate from 20 miles away from Preston and it's where my dogs were born.  I now live down South and yet I've picked another "breed" that is from Lancashire ha ha !!

• So, you'll know where Broughton is, then ?

It crossed my mind that this plant was developed at Broughton Grange but having Googled that now, that's Oxon!

Yep, North of Fulwood, which I know, East of Kirkham, which I know.  Gotcha!

Didn't know about Vince Denny so you set me off on a Google voyage of discovery, thank you for that Richard.  image 

A bit like "Who do you think you are?", the more you know about the background, the more you connect with the subject.  I will relish getting to know this plant knowing her history.