London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
10 messages
08/05/2012 at 23:18

I have two of these that have finaly recovered (ok one has totally) after two winters and are now flowering quite well but if they are going to earn their keep they need to do that again and again or else I'll repace them with something else. They were here when I moved to my flat so I have no real sentimental connection to them. So how do you prune them so they flower and dont get out of hand. the one of them that has recovered the best is growing at an alarming rate and if I let it just be I think it will become too big.

09/05/2012 at 09:54

Peveril isn't pruned normally - they are big plants, that's their nature (5-7m). If you have to prune to control their size do it after flowering.

09/05/2012 at 10:28

Sounds to me like the wrong plant in the wrong place.  As Alina says they will get huge ifleft but you can prune them back after flowering to keep them in bounds.

The thing with montanas is that they do just flower in spring and those buds can be damaged by late frosts so you lose a whole yea'rs blooms or, as in my case afew years ago, the entire plant.

I would consider trying to dig them up with as much root ball as possible and give them away to a good home.  I'd then plant something smaller that repeat flowers so a group 2 clematis or a viticella with a longer summer flowering period or a climbing rose with perfume and repeat flowers.  You can look for suitably sized and grouped clems on this web site's text search facility - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/ 

09/05/2012 at 10:44
I got rid of my c.Montana a few years back as I realised I'd always be fighting with it...trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. As Obelixx says, short flowering season too.
09/05/2012 at 19:15

It sounds more and more that I should dig it out. I have a Clematis Cassis next to it so maybe I should get another one with a longer flowering period. I am not overtely found of this plant but I don't really like just booting a plant out without a new home when it is in good nick. I have at the other end of the wall a zephirine drouhin so maybe so I am in two minds whether to get a clematis or a rose (or perhpas something else that climbs). Maybe I should use my t&m voucher for a climber.

09/05/2012 at 19:32
Have you checked out akebia quinata?
09/05/2012 at 19:36
No. What is it?
09/05/2012 at 19:40

It sounds more and more that I should dig it out. I have a Clematis Cassis next to it so maybe I should get another one with a longer flowering period. I am not overtely found of this plant but I don't really like just booting a plant out without a new home when it is in good nick. I have at the other end of the wall a zephirine drouhin so maybe so I am in two minds whether to get a clematis or a rose (or perhpas something else that climbs). Maybe I should use my t&m voucher for a climber.

09/05/2012 at 19:42
A very pretty and unusual climber. Google for info - not being obstructive, can't post links/ photos from iPad.
09/05/2012 at 22:10

The Curse of modern trappings! I'll google away!

email image
10 messages