Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

clematis recommendation please

Hi, I recently cut back an overgrown/twiggy honeysuckle and put a trellis in to cover the gappy fence. I cut the honeysuckle down to the ground and hoped it would grow nice and fresh from the bottom. It did, and looked lovely for a few weeks, before suddenly going all twiggy again, with the only green bits being over the top of the trellis, hanging out of the garden and unseen. So I've cut it back again and am goping to replace it with a clematis.

I'd like recommendations for a suitable one please! It's a west-facing spot, pretty sheltered. The trellis is about 4ft high by 6ft wide, so I'd like a small/slow growing clematis which can be trained in to the trellis and will deliver lots of bang for its buck in terms of flowers over what is quite a small area.

Over to you!

This would be my suggestion, thecatsmother......'Ice Blue'.

• That's lovely! Any more recommendations from anyone else?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Boulevard types (aka 'top to bottom') are a good choice for that situation.  Some here:

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/Boulevard-Collection/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Fab thanks image

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

4ft height is quite restricting for a clematis, the one called 'pixie' that stays compacted with loads of flowers. I would go with a mid to late flowering clematis, ie one that flowers on current/this years growth. Then you can cut it back hard to the ground in spring knowing new growth will provide the flowering stems.