London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
30/03/2013 at 15:37

I pruned my Clematis Rouge Cardinal about 6-8 weeks ago and it began to produce lovey healthy looking shoots. I've just looked at it and all the new growth is wilting.

Is it as a result of this unseasonally cold weather and if so will it recover?  

Is there anything I can do to help it recover? 

Or is it the dreaded clematis wilt?????

I hope it's not dying as it's a beautiful plant and produces masses of flowers in the summer. 

30/03/2013 at 15:47

It most likely wilt,but hopefully you planted it deep.I have had clematis is that have had this but have come back and started shooting growth again because I had planted them deeper.The ones I didn't died and didn't re-grow from base.dont give up on it just wait and see.

30/03/2013 at 16:17

Is it just suffering from this horrible cold weather?

30/03/2013 at 16:24

I pruned some of my clems early in March when it was warm and all their new buds that were showing then have shrivelled in the cold.  I can't see mine reshooting form those points but theye are deelpy planted so should produce new shoots from below.

I sugges you wait and see with yours.  It's a bit early in the season for clematis wilt to start but who knows these days?  When the frost do pass, try giving yours a feed of liquid rose or tomato fertiliser to give it some encouragement.

30/03/2013 at 18:27

I suppose it isn't that the new shoots are being nibbled by slugs or snails? They sometimes need protection from these pests to give them a chance to take off in spring. This can sometimes mimic wilt.

30/03/2013 at 19:14

Mine are only just showing signs of life but I rescued one today which had been planted in the grass by previous owner and have put it in a sheltered spot to protect the new growth. Hopefully it is just the cold that's caused it Tattiana and when things warm up it'll recover. If you can shelter it at all it may help or possibly adding extra soil round base to mimic being more deeply planted? It would be such a shame if you lost it 

31/03/2013 at 08:58

Thank you all for your advice. I'll keep an eye on it, do as you've suggested (where possible) and keep my fingers crossed in the hope that it will recover 

anna

01/04/2013 at 17:13

Not wilt, the cold winds are to blame, give it a bucketful of water.

email image
8 messages