London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
17 messages
18/03/2013 at 08:39

There is an offer on at lidl (Ireland) they should have 3 types of Clematis coming in this morning and the doors open at 10.  So should I go buy 1 or 2. I live in a small cottage and the door is on the south side I was thinking perhaps of growing them around the door way in containers  (these will come in 2 litre pots). Never grown them before. Do I go for it or not ?

18/03/2013 at 08:51

Good Morning, If you can buy two of the same colour you wont be disappointed they are large flower types Lidl don't print the names of clematis,so be bold and buy two if you don't your local G/c will charge you €15 or maybe more per plant

Derek

18/03/2013 at 09:04

Thank you Derek, your right on the money with the pricing these are €5.99 each and I think they will be out the door quick this morning I love where I live but the garden is quite boring at the moment, when i moved here last summer I couldn't do much except a few window boxes so this year i am aiming to get some colour around the place.  

Do you think they will grow much this year or will it be 2014 before they establish themselves?

18/03/2013 at 09:12
Yes, I'd go for 2, but would also remind you that they like cool roots and their heads in the sun, so if you're planting them in an exposed southerly aspect, you may need to organise some shade for the containers.
18/03/2013 at 09:31

Hi Blackest , it depends on the weather we are getting , Figrat has given good advice, keep the lower stems of the plant shaded the Clematis is a woodland plant ,and don't forget to put in some form of trellis or wire mesh so as your plants can climb

Derek

18/03/2013 at 09:56

My mother always used to say "all good things come in 3s". They sound good value. You couldn't fit one into the back garden as well?

18/03/2013 at 11:15

I bought two miss bateman as they seemed the strongest with buds and leaves down to the top of the pot.  First job to transplant to 20/25 litre pots  there was a good selection of more colourful Clematis but I figured best chance was to grow strong plants

18/03/2013 at 11:23
Remember to plant them deep in their new homes.
18/03/2013 at 11:27

I found my clematis did really grow much in the first year i planted them but i am waiting and hoping they do well this year.

18/03/2013 at 11:48

Clearing a border for clematis, against a fence, south facing, need colour also screen for the fence line.

browsing for all types - thanks for these good tips. heres to a happy clematis season!

18/03/2013 at 12:00

I have a clematis the president and the flowers are large and a really good purple colour. I have also got a clematis rebecca flowers not as large as the president but is the closest to red I have seen a clematis sort of a maroon colour. I would definately recomend those two. Always wanted a clematis nelly moser i have seen a few about and they have large flowers and a good pattern although not grown one yet. If your wanting total coverage and screeing get a clematis montana they get really big i have a few in my garden, rubens is a large variety flowers pink i also have a clematis montana marjorie which is a smaller variety for a montana and has redish flower but montanas do flower in spring.

18/03/2013 at 14:13

To get a good display quickly in a pot, I would always plant two, because it will be a while before they mature and even then they will not be as large as clematis planted in the ground IMO. To get lots of stems, I would cut off the stems I have at about 12" which gives the plant a setback and delays flowering but ensures that there are plenty of stems from the start. As has been pointed out, clematis like cool roots, so if they are in the sun IMO they really need other plants in front of them, if in a pot, since shading them with a stone or something can be ineffective if the stone itself gets hot. They should be planted with their crown a bit below soil level, because this helps prevent clematis wilt. They may well need to be gently tied in - they do not twine and although they do have a gripping mechanism (not sure what it is called), it isn't always effective enough. The stems are fragile and handling them can cause them to die back, so be careful. They need plenty of watering and feeding for lots of flowers, although they are tough and can survive mistreatment. So there's an argument that you need four!! The other thing is that they will probably flower at the top only if the stems are allowed to go straight up and really need to be encouraged to climb diagonally up the support (if possible). Hope this helps.

18/03/2013 at 16:16
Blackest, consider the feeding. Clematis are greedy plants. Spend some cash on compost and dried manure.
Best to dig generous hole and mix generous quantities of manure and compost with the excavated soil. Plant deeply and return mixed soil back into the hole. Water really well and then mulch generously with compost and manure.
The better the soil around the plant the better your clematis will be
18/03/2013 at 16:21
just noticed you intend planting in containers so the compost mixture is even more important. I would use John innes number 3 and added manure. Then a generous mulch after watering. Clematis are always much better in the garden than pots, in my opinion
18/03/2013 at 17:35

Except Verdun for those of us with only pots! I shall mulch mine with plenty of manure-I'll mulch all pots with plenty of manure in fact.

18/03/2013 at 19:01

Thanks Verdun for the timely advice re preparation before planting. I'm fortunate to have the space to dig deep. Would appreciate any suggestions for the front of the border - thanks. 

18/03/2013 at 19:10

Cairnsie, many thanks for those recommendations as I'm  thinking of the deeper colours. The montanas sound right for the screening I need. Also considering an evergreen 'Cirrhosa Ourikavalla' again to give some winter colour/cover  to the fence.

email image
17 messages