London (change)
Today 17°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
9 messages
21/08/2013 at 22:41

I am growing my first clematis this year (not sure of the name because I lost the label).

I planted it beneath my rather ancient apple tree - and it has alrady started growing into it. Is this ok or can one affect the other ?

Also have got some rusty spots on  leaves of the apple tree, not sure what it is or if it can transfer to Clematis. Any advice would be appreciated.

21/08/2013 at 22:42

I think it's ok - it looks fantastic for it's first year, mine are all still weedy!

21/08/2013 at 22:54

Hi Sara4 - I bought 2 originally - they were about 6 inches high. Fed them both the same on seaweed type liquid. One died a hoprrible death, this one has thrived. Someone said I should not feed once the flowers arrived - so I stopped and just gave it lots to drink.

Try a seaweed feed next year - it might help.

22/08/2013 at 15:32

I can't see any reason not to do this. I have two rather manky old pear trees and I have trained two Viticella-type clematis to grwo through them in the summer. They look really pretty.

22/08/2013 at 15:44

sounds a lovely idea. I'd avoid the really rampant ones, montana, armandii, 

Green magpie's viticella suggestion is probably a good one. Anything you can cut back every year so it doesn't overwealm the tree or leave you with dead bits of clematis at the top of a tree, way out of reach, (like my armandii)

22/08/2013 at 16:24

One house my Mother had had over 70 clematis growing through the trees ,they were ok  and kept in check but they can strangle a tree and as in covering it and taking over ending in a bit of a mess,but they do look better growing through a bush or like mine ,a rose ,passion flower and red currant bush.

22/08/2013 at 16:26

Thank you - I put viticella into the search on here and it came up with lots of them - including one that looks like mine called Bluebell, so hopefully it will get on ok in the apple tree.

23/08/2013 at 09:13

Yes, the big strong ones (Armandii and Montana, which yours doesn't look like) are to be treated with caution. We let one of each of these grow up through old - and eventually dead - apples trees. In the end the trees fell over, probably helped by the weight of the huge clematis. The Montana has survived, by being attached to a second tree, which it now reaches by straggling across the ground; the Armadii has died.

23/08/2013 at 09:31

Looks great Lyndab. When they're just tiny plants they need a bit of time to get a decent root system on them so it's usually better to pot them up  and grow them on for a bit before planting out into the ground where they can get 'lost'. Lovely that yours has taken so well. 

email image
9 messages