Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis

i am looking for a clematis that will be happy in a tub and will climb over trellis. Not over worried about colour or flowering time as long as it isn't too fussy.

any ideas?

thanks

hopeless gardner

• GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

I've just planted 2 in tubs plus some jasmine and passion flowers (as they're just £3 each from Tesco at the moment and I can't resist a bargain).  I'm trying a montana 'Elizabeth' and a Ville de Lyon.  I suspect the montana might be a bit rampant for a tub though.

• arneilarneil Posts: 313

I had Montana in an old dustbin and it was great for a couple or years then ran out of steam .It was replaced by honeysuckle courtesy of the birds

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

I have a Nelly Moser that has lived in a large pot for years. They do need extra feeding and watering though.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Minuet would be good, and Silver Moon and Caerulea Luxurians and many more.   Clematis are gross feeders and easily get thirsty in pots so avoid the rampant ones like the montanas as they need really good root runs to do their thing.

Us the biggest pot you can, minimum 60cms/2' deep and wide and use John Innes no 3 compost with added slow release fertiliser and give it top ups of proper clematis food every spring and regular feeds of liquid tomato or rose fertiliser between waterings.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Ive been looking into small low growing clematis and think I'm going to get some from the Boulevard Collection

http://www.raymondevisonclematis.com/main/catalogue.asp?categoryID=3

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

There are some bred specially for pots - i think they call them patio clematis.  I have a couple called Abilene, that have been happily growing in the same pots for the last 5 years.  They are group 3 so get pruned down to about 6 inches every March, then they have covered their wigwam again by June, and flower well.  I put a couple of the slow release food pellets in the compost every year too

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Here's one last summer.....there is a wigwam of hazel poles under there somewhereimage

• Those patio clematis are the ones I linked to, the Boulevard collection. good to see Abilene in real life; gives me a lot of confidence in getting one, thanks Chicky image

• Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 542

I grow a few of the C viticella cultivars in pots and they do well. I do have an irrigation system which makes a huge difference to the growth of plants in pots.

• PeroxissPeroxiss Posts: 12

I have 2 Montana's one in a large tub and the other in a gravel area, the one in the gravel went off like a rocket and has almost grown 7-8 metres up and across my pegula, and the one in the tub did nothing last year but in the past 3-4 weeks has started going mad, so i guess it will be ok ? just give it some space and be patient?

(both were planted last year around summer).