London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
8 messages
20/05/2013 at 15:22

Its it easy to propagate clematis?

20/05/2013 at 16:05

Yes, in theory, but often they don't take from cuttings.  Layering is a good method and you can also sow seeds but then what you get will be surprises.

This advice is from the RHS - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=97 Scroll down to propagation and then click on the highligted words for more info on techniques.

20/05/2013 at 16:16

Yes, layering is the way to go, but it is still not easy - there is a good reason that mature plants are expensive to buy.  Seeds are fun, germination is somewhat erratic, and indeed, what you get almost certainly will not be what you got the seed from.  Layering is fun, some of my montanas do it themselves, but the more delicate ones are less easy - but go for it, it might just turn out to be your best skill, and think of the fun and pride you will have when it works.  

20/05/2013 at 16:20

Agree with the layering,it can be difficult ,but is well worth it and unlike seed/new plant purchase you have noting to lose,only..time.Give it a go!.

20/05/2013 at 16:46

I find the montanas and alpinas easy. The others I have mixed results with. It seems to depend on the variety. Last year I failed with clematis Guernsey Cream. This year I have had two that have taken - though over winter they looked dead for all the world, except that the roots coming out the bottom of the pot were yellow, a good sign. Now they are flying away. I have had no luck at all with C x jackmannii, having tried three times. By the time I can get decent cutting material after flowering, there isn't enough time for the cuttings to estamlish before winter,.unlike the early flowerers 

20/05/2013 at 17:00

Its my Alpinas they have loads of new growth and loads of flowers.

20/05/2013 at 17:05

Should be easy then. They will send out lots of new growth after flowering. Wait till July and take firm cuttings. 

20/05/2013 at 18:09

I've had success with the montana ones taken last year, went to stick in the winter but started growing again

email image
8 messages