Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis

B3B3 Posts: 27,474

I have a mature, late - flowering, clematis . Unfortunately, it is exactly where a fence post will need to be reinforced.

Can I move it when it is dormant?  

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I'd cut it hard back and move it after it's flowered - it'll be move it or lose it if the work on the post has to happen.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,474

I'm hoping I can stick it in a binbag or something and put it back when it's done.  I know one not to plant directly in front of a post again.

Do the roots go very deep vertically or are they more likely to spread horizontally?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I find they do both if they have the opportunity - get as big a rootball as you can image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks dove.

Update: clematis moved along. fence post secure. The clematis has loads of green leaves sprouting. I think I got away with it. Thanks for advice all.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Good news.  Love it when a plant co-operates and rewards care, especially a clem.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Splendid B3. Bit of care and they 're fine. Hope you get many more years of pleasure from it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

imageimage