Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

tattianna

I was given a packet of seed and grew them for the first time this year and they have been beautiful. 

I understand that they self seed anyway but I want to try collecting the seed. Do they come true or will I get varying colours? The flowers I've had are deep & paler pink, lilac & white.   

nutcutlet

not sure about cleome but when I saved seeds from the white cosmos in a mix, i found I had still had a mix the following year.

Maybe there's a mix of colour genes in all the plants or maybe they cross pollinate amongst themselves 

hollie hock

I've grown them for the first time here, didn't know they are prone to self seed, that's good news I really like them

My first instinct is that  they wouldn't grow true to type but then again I haven't see a lot of insects of them. I think the seed is really tiny, I can see seed pods on a few of mine

tattianna

Hmmm I'm curious now! Thank you nut 

Hollie hock I don't know for sure that they self seed, I just read it somewhere. I also saw a clip on youtube showing how to collect the seed and yes it's really tiny and plenty full too. Given that there's so much seed I would imagine that at least some of them must germinate around where they fall but hey what do I know???? 

chicky
I didn't know you could grow them from seed - have added them to my list to try for next year

Advertisement

nutcutlet

I wouldn't depend on non hardy plants to self seed. they might germinate in autumn and die in winter or, if the seed doesn't rot in winter, germinate in a mild spell in early spring and get wiped out by a late frost. They'll no doubt self seed in their own climate

tattianna

Yes you're probably right there nut so I'll collect the seed and give it a go in the spring.

hollie hock

Hi nut...........that makes sense, will have a go at collecting the seeds. Will wait a little for the pods to go brown, still green at the moment.

Think I grew them as the seeds were really cheap and I've been really surprised how much I like them chicky. They grew quickly and have strong stems (all be it a bit prickly) so they haven't bent and don't need any staking, Seem to be fairly draught tolerant as well

I grew these from seed this year for the first time - and will grow them again.    I got the pinks and white ones, but also some in a deep purple.   I am leaving mine to seed themselves.