Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cleome

I was given a packet of seed and grew them for the first time this year and they have been beautiful. 

I understand that they self seed anyway but I want to try collecting the seed. Do they come true or will I get varying colours? The flowers I've had are deep & paler pink, lilac & white.   

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

not sure about cleome but when I saved seeds from the white cosmos in a mix, i found I had still had a mix the following year.

Maybe there's a mix of colour genes in all the plants or maybe they cross pollinate amongst themselves 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hmmm I'm curious now! Thank you nut 

Hollie hock I don't know for sure that they self seed, I just read it somewhere. I also saw a clip on youtube showing how to collect the seed and yes it's really tiny and plenty full too. Given that there's so much seed I would imagine that at least some of them must germinate around where they fall but hey what do I know???? image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    I didn't know you could grow them from seed - have added them to my list to try for next yearimage
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wouldn't depend on non hardy plants to self seed. they might germinate in autumn and die in winter or, if the seed doesn't rot in winter, germinate in a mild spell in early spring and get wiped out by a late frost. They'll no doubt self seed in their own climate

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Yes you're probably right there nut so I'll collect the seed and give it a go in the spring.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I grew these from seed this year for the first time - and will grow them again.    I got the pinks and white ones, but also some in a deep purple.   I am leaving mine to seed themselves.