London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
9 messages
10/09/2013 at 21:38

I was given a packet of seed and grew them for the first time this year and they have been beautiful. 

I understand that they self seed anyway but I want to try collecting the seed. Do they come true or will I get varying colours? The flowers I've had are deep & paler pink, lilac & white.   

10/09/2013 at 21:50

not sure about cleome but when I saved seeds from the white cosmos in a mix, i found I had still had a mix the following year.

Maybe there's a mix of colour genes in all the plants or maybe they cross pollinate amongst themselves 

10/09/2013 at 21:56

I've grown them for the first time here, didn't know they are prone to self seed, that's good news I really like them

My first instinct is that  they wouldn't grow true to type but then again I haven't see a lot of insects of them. I think the seed is really tiny, I can see seed pods on a few of mine

10/09/2013 at 22:36

Hmmm I'm curious now! Thank you nut 

Hollie hock I don't know for sure that they self seed, I just read it somewhere. I also saw a clip on youtube showing how to collect the seed and yes it's really tiny and plenty full too. Given that there's so much seed I would imagine that at least some of them must germinate around where they fall but hey what do I know???? 

10/09/2013 at 22:41
I didn't know you could grow them from seed - have added them to my list to try for next year
10/09/2013 at 22:51

I wouldn't depend on non hardy plants to self seed. they might germinate in autumn and die in winter or, if the seed doesn't rot in winter, germinate in a mild spell in early spring and get wiped out by a late frost. They'll no doubt self seed in their own climate

11/09/2013 at 07:15

Yes you're probably right there nut so I'll collect the seed and give it a go in the spring.

11/09/2013 at 09:57

Hi nut...........that makes sense, will have a go at collecting the seeds. Will wait a little for the pods to go brown, still green at the moment.

Think I grew them as the seeds were really cheap and I've been really surprised how much I like them chicky. They grew quickly and have strong stems (all be it a bit prickly) so they haven't bent and don't need any staking, Seem to be fairly draught tolerant as well

11/09/2013 at 20:56

I grew these from seed this year for the first time - and will grow them again.    I got the pinks and white ones, but also some in a deep purple.   I am leaving mine to seed themselves.

email image
9 messages