London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
01/05/2013 at 12:47

Hi

I am planing on having  2 climbers to grow 6-7 ft to cover 4 fence pannels. I have a problem where 2 fence pannels have concrete infront of them.

The soil in front of the other 2 panels would be questionable as i am sure its very stony.

We would like a passionflower and either clematis or jasmine.

So my questions..

Can i grow climber in pot (for the panels with concrete inform) and would a climber be OK in stony soil?

Thanks

01/05/2013 at 15:35

...yes you can grow climbers in pots, but the bigger the pots the better, and of course they need support...some kind of trellis or wires on the fence, both vertical and horizontal wiring...  Also do research and choose shorter growing climbers for pots, nothing too rampant... a clematis like 'Piilu' would be nice, as it has flowers all the way down the stems right to the bottom...

Your stony soil is no problem for climbers like Lonicera 'Graham Thomas'... a very vigourous honeysuckle...

01/05/2013 at 18:42

Think maybe a clemantis montana would do ok in less than good soil This one if happy grows like mad though, early flowering type, but lovely foilage, does go to stick in the winter.

01/05/2013 at 19:47

Thanks. Would a jasmin work in stony soil or pot ?

thinking jasmin one side and clematis the other 

email image
4 messages