London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
11 messages
08/01/2014 at 14:57

Hello, I want to plant rose climber Compassion on my south facing wall. Can you advise the very best time to plant as it's in memory of my dear old dad and I would be so sad if it didn't do well. Also bare-rooted or not? Many thanks, Julie

08/01/2014 at 15:12

Bare rooted roses plant between November and March in mild weather.

Pot grown  roses can be planted at any time of year, so long as you remember to water well in dry weather.

08/01/2014 at 15:58

Agree on the timings with fidgetbones, also make sure it's planted away from the wall, leaning slightly back towards it.  That way it won't dry out so easily by being in the 'rain shadow' of the wall.  Get the main branches as horizontal as you can once it starts growing.  That way you'll get plenty of new shoots coming off of them, as opposed to the branch just extending on and on.

08/01/2014 at 17:02

Agree with all above.  Also dig out a good big hole, at least twice as big as you think you need, and improve the soil, adding compost, well rotted farm yard manure, leaf mould etc - that will improve the nutrition as well as the moisture-holding capabilities of the soil, and mulch with same after planting, not letting the mulch touch the stem.  

Lovely rose and a lovely idea 

09/01/2014 at 17:59

Thanks very much for the advice. If I go for bare-rooted, it's mild here now but freezing weather due next week, would you wait till March or when a longer mild period comes (if it does)? Also how far from the wall is ideal? Sorry for all the questions but I want it to thrive and be happy and I know from reading your posts that you know your stuff!

09/01/2014 at 18:44

March is too late for bare-rooted plants - if you can get the one you want now I'd go for it - however you might find that rose-growers are out of stock of popular bare rooted roses now - most are ordered in the autumn.   I believe that Peter Beales gave sold out of bare-root Compassion but have some plants in containers 

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/compassion/

Plant a climbing rose at least 18" away from the wall.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. 

09/01/2014 at 20:19

I have the climber rose compassion,  had it for about 10yrs now. Its a lovely rose and good repeat blooms, nice length stems to cut and bring indoors.  I usually plant my roses in March/April time, but buy  them pot grown. 

10/01/2014 at 15:42

In terms of the distance from the wall question, at least 12 inches, preferably 18inches if you can.  The further away it is, the less watering you'll need to do...

10/01/2014 at 16:55

Thanks again, all, that's really helpful. Compassion was one of my Dad's favourite roses. As a child I remember he always grew roses with a lot of fragrance, We had Albertine and Madame Butterfly growing on a long arch across our garden and the lawn was covered in petals and us kids used the petals as confetti for  play weddings. Such happy days, there's nothing like flowers to bring back memories. Hopefully I'll be able to post a photo of my first bloom in the summer!

10/01/2014 at 18:31

We'll look forward to it 

10/01/2014 at 20:37

A beautiful rose, with happy memories for you and your family to enjoy.

email image
11 messages