London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
7 messages
05/08/2013 at 17:30

We've just gutted our back garden - most of the planting was there when we moved in 25 years ago and had gone past its best.  We now have about 25' of 8' high trellis crying out for plants.  It's west facing and has full protection behind i.e. to the east. 

Suggestions for plants which, in combination, could provide all year (or most of the year) colour would be greatly appreciated.

The entire garden is approx 150' x 30' and currently has one crab apple & 2 bamboo!  Plenty of scope for the rest of the garden too.

05/08/2013 at 19:18

Hi KT53, for a start how about Clematis armandii and Clematis montana along a part of the fence, both flower well at different times of years and one is evergreen.

05/08/2013 at 19:24

Wow, I think you have silenced everyone by the amount of choice.

For your trellis, the possibilities are endless and just depend on how much time you have to keep things under control, how much money you have and what your personal preferences are.

Being retired I have loads of time on my hands for twining bits of clematis round bits of wood and trimming rose heads off when they are finished. You may not want to do that sort of thing, but you can find different varieties of clematis that flower from the earliest spring through to late summer, some of them beautifully scented and some evergreen. Roses will take you from spring through to the frosts and sometimes you will even have one for Christmas, though it will be a bit battered by the wind.

I will stop at the trellis because I could write a book about what to put in the rest of the plot!

06/08/2013 at 18:33

Thanks for the replies so far.  We were thinking along the clematis route too.  Keeping them under control shouldn't be too difficult as long as I remember which is which and what needs cutting back when.

There are other areas with trellis which we were thinking of for roses as they form and surround an arbour.

Money isn't a particular issue. We know the garden is going to eat money - it has already To give a sense of what has been done to date:- 150' timber fence 3'high with gravel boards and concrete posts; approx 300 sq metres of turf; 60 sq metres of Indian sandstone paving, 2 raised beds approx 10'x4'; aforementioned trellis; trellis panels behind and between raised beds to create arbour.  All that before we even think about the planting in any detail.....

I would really appreciate ideas for unusual plants although they do need to be reasonably hardy.  We tend not to get the worst of the weather here near Gloucester.

06/08/2013 at 20:52

I've got clematis tangutica which is just now beginning to flower, while most of the others are just past their prime. It's very vigorous and tough too. My other favourite climber is honeysuckle just because it smells so glorious.

What kind of soil do you have? And do you get a lot of rain, or is your area quite dry? 

06/08/2013 at 22:03

..the trouble with west facing fences is that some rampant climbers are liable to grow up to the top and attempt to flower on the other side, as it faces the rising sun... although you say it has 'full protection'' from behind...?

..otherwise there are so many to choose from...this Cornish garden and nursery will give you some nice ideas I think... from all manner of climbers.. roses...some not so hardy and quite a few I certainly hadn't heard of before... if you want to try out something different...just to give it a go...

..see what you think...

http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/cat1.htm

07/08/2013 at 22:18

Soil is pretty good and free draining, on the alkaline side of neutral.  Not excessively wet (except last year) and during the floods of 2007!

The trellis backs on to our neighbours garage so gets very little light from behind.  It faces more south-west than true west.

Thanks for the link.

email image
7 messages