Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climbers and soil type- confused.com

TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Right then folks- heres my new question

i want 2 types of climbers, (two of each type) which flower at different times, which like clay soil, which have yellow leaves (to match a choiya and so i can see it from a distance) that doesnt mind being exposed (ooh matron(

Also when the plant selector asks whether soil is moist or well drained, which do i pick?

the soil is moist when wet and rock hard when dry- its clay--- so what is it please?

confused.com

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

_   Improve the soil with lots of grit, and you'll have well-drained soil. Clay soil will

become a bog in winter, and parchment in a dry summer; plants may be killed in the

wettest months, so surviving winter is less likely for those that enjoy a well-drained

medium.

_ Actinidia has many variegated cultivars (including yellow). The same for

Trachelospermum, and there´s lonicera japonica (japanese honeysuckle 'Gold

Nancy'). And, of course, golden hop (Humulus lupulus).

• TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Ooh thanks dimwit- i shall order some grit and get looking up those plants

very helpful thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

If you add some well rotted manure and compost as well as the grit, it will open the soil up and help the drainage as well. It'll also help it from getting rock hard during long dry spells  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    Do you particularly want it to match the Choisya? You could widen your search and look for something that contrasts with the choisya - maybe something with dark evergreen leaves or red / purple leaves that would stand out against the yello-green of the choisya?