Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Climbers in pots

flowerbomb2flowerbomb2 Posts: 54

Hi,

I am currently trying to find the ideal climber for my balcony, that will do well against a wall and railings I think it may be south west facing but am unsure. It isn't too windy and doesn't get too hot either.

Ideally I would like a climbing scented rose but after reading reviews it looks like roses do not do that well in pots.

I would just like any pretty scented climber that I can hopefully trail around the circumference which is about 3.5m L x 1.6mW If anybody  has any suggestions as to what plant they think would look and grow well I would apppreciate any response

Thank you

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

There are miniature climbing roses around, google them. They're not as majestic as the big ones, but they're cute.

• sybillesybille Posts: 76

Roses in pots can be fine, as long as the pot is large enough and you'll have to refresh the compost every year. I have grown several roses in pots for 10 years now, never had any problems.

• flowerbomb2flowerbomb2 Posts: 54

Thank you image

• i am currently trying akebia  quinata (chocolate vine) Semi evergreen scented dark purple red flowers. Seems to be doin very well, is quite vigorous, grown about 8 inches in 2 weeks. Hardy clematis seems to do well as a hanger or climber. If you are quite sheltered try Mandevilla super climber supposedly not frost hardy but I planted one 3 years ago and is flowering this year, I did protect the roots through the winter.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

There are certain clematis that do well in pots - look at the patio collection from Raymond Evison.  I have Aveline growing in a large pot - gets fed once a year with slow release fertiliser, and it flowers its socks off.  Its been there about 7 years now image

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Rosa Warm Welcome is supposed to be ok in containers.    I think it mainly climbs UP though.  Mine didn't do too well, and was eventually killed off by an aggressive jasmine next to it.