London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
9 messages
14/10/2012 at 11:00

I have ivy over my garage wall which has been there for about 10 years. We cut it back to 'the wood' yesterday in an effort to control it. Three trips to the tip later, and the wall is now bare of greenery but the main 'very thick' branches are left. Will the plant grow back as vigorously as previously/or not and I would be grateful of some tips to control it..Thank you  

14/10/2012 at 11:11

Yes it willl grow back just as vigorously as before, if not more so.  In future you can take a pair of shears or a hedge  trimmer to it in the late summer (to avoid disturbing nesting birds - it's a favourite spot for robins, spotted flycatchers and blackbirds).

Or, if you've got the space you could trim it every 2 or 3 years instead of every year - that'll give it the chance to produce flowers  which are so wonderful for bees and other pollinating insects and the berries are great for winter food for the wild birds 

14/10/2012 at 12:12
Dfb, I love ivy in flower, I pass some on my walk to work from the car park and the flowers are in bud now. Last year scent was wonderful and the plants were full of bees. They need all the help they can get later in the year, especially this year.
14/10/2012 at 12:57

Thanks very much for your advice,, now you mention it I  did spot one or two flowering heads in between the ivy hat I've never seen before,,makes me think that maybe I was a bit hasty and should have waited a few weeks, but not being able to rely on good weather forced my hand !! thanks again. 

15/10/2012 at 13:46

It's a very vigorous plant so will grow back well.

Good tips on watching out for birds and leaving berries, it's a fantastic plant for wildlife.

Justin

Gardening in Durham

15/10/2012 at 14:37

I grow ivy specifically for the small blue butterfly, the blackbirds who feed on the berries and nest in it and for the glory of its flowers and berries in the autumn and for Xmas decoratios.  Here it is at the moment climbing up a very old pear tree which none the less gets covered in huge pears every year.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/14964.jpg?width=364&height=350&mode=max

15/10/2012 at 15:03

If you grow a cutting from the tips where it is flowering, the resultant plant will not climb - can be useful if you want some leaves but not the whole wall/fence covered for the next milr or tow!

15/10/2012 at 18:01

Thanks for all your advice !!.

15/10/2012 at 20:15

... or even mile or two - might teach me to check before posting - or not!

email image
9 messages