London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
23/06/2013 at 09:52

Hi everyone,

Can anyone reccomend a good climbing plant for a metal arch? Am really looking for something that can grow quickly with a bit of colour in the summer. The arch is around 6 feet high and is very drab, hence the need to drape a nice climber off it.

Thanks!
G.

23/06/2013 at 10:03

Can't think of anything better than a couple of lovely clematis. Choose ones that will follow on from each other to prolong the flowering period 

Someone here has a link to a really good clematis site - but if they don't appear on here today this site is quite good http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/Clematis-species-integrifolia/ 

23/06/2013 at 11:35

I thought I posted here earlier and said the same as you Dove! Can't have pressed submit...

Taylor's is a lovely and very informative site.

Gareth - I also suggested roses, sweet peas and honeysuckle depending on budget and whether scent was a priority. Lots of Clematis are flowering just now so you can go to GCs and nurseries and see them 'in the flesh' too. Or did you want something evergreen so that the arch is hidden all year round?

23/06/2013 at 11:46

If it's "only" 6 feet high, you probably don't want a wisteria, as those flower spikes would be hanging down to chest height.

My big honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica halliana 'Cream Cascade') is only green on the sunny side, and a bit of a mess of sticks from the north. I'm not sure what it'd look like on an arch. I'd expect green outside and dull from inside.

The Akebia is green all over, but it's inclined to feel around and explore its surroundings, so you may have issues keeping that out of your face too.

My only problem with Clematis is that all three of them died, two in year 1 and one in year 2. I lost 1 of 3 roses and no Lonicera or Akebia.

23/06/2013 at 12:11

Why not try a well behaved rose like Phyllis Bide - so pretty and not to tall or Malvern Hills again not too tall and a divine perfume ( i have this on my metal arch)

23/06/2013 at 13:51

Thank you all very much! I have tried to grow clemantis in the past but struggled to get them going. Perhaps the clay soil didn't help them. I'd never considered roses for the arch. Fairygirl - I would like something for the whole year.

I've decided to experiment. I'll try a clematis for one side and a rose for the other and see how they do.

23/06/2013 at 16:35

Hi gareth

I have 2 different honeysuckles over my metal arch.  They are easy, never need spraying for anything, no need to,worry about thorns and no huge lumps of spent flowers everywhere.  And, the SCENT.  With these as I enter my small grass sitting area and a jasmine,planted behind the seat I am in heaven.  I have a pot of heliotrope to one side of the seat and a pineapple sage in a pot on the other.  Think I like scent?

23/06/2013 at 16:41

If you like ringing the changes every year, try Black eyed Susan. Grows really quickly and now available in a maroony red as well as the traditional yellowy/orange.Only an annual so bear this in mind.

23/06/2013 at 17:33

we just put an arch up and i'm plannin gclematis and honeysuckle, though i haven't had many flowers on my honeysuckle previously, though it was in apot and is now in the ground (moved a month ago)

23/06/2013 at 19:07

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/ is an excellent clematis website, do a clematis text search to enter info such as aspect and required height.

I would recommend clematis Alaina, it's been prolific for me these year and jasmine of course, always an amazing scent.

23/06/2013 at 19:12

just put them in the post

email image
11 messages