7 messages
07/08/2014 at 15:04

I bought Shropshire Lad from David Austin Roses 3 (going on 4) years ago. It has always been reliable & healthy. Recently, it has succumbed to black spot which I have been spraying with suitable substance, but today I noticed that it seemed to be sprouting red stems from the root and also further up the main stem. I have taken off all these stems as they were unlike the normal stems on this rose. Now I have just discovered one leaf folded over quite tightly - I unfurled it and found white grubs? that look like tiny flecks of paper and also 2 flies with orange/yellow bodies and brown/black wings - never seen their like before.

Anyone had a similar experience/any advice please?

07/08/2014 at 15:18
My DA roses did that following stress, in my case it was lack of water after moving them, just necause of circumstances at the time.

Apart from sports coming from the under the soil, the new shoots on mine are always red, so i wouldnt worry about that.

All i have done is cut out any dogdy stems, watered every day and mulched with compost, they will have more mulch in the autumn, its also a good idea to take off the flowers to let it gather its strength.

Ive never sprayed, they have come good with just a bit of tlc, still a bit of blackspot but getting better.

Failing that, give DA a call, ive always found them very good, i hope you get it sorted
07/08/2014 at 15:38

The folded leaf is a way that butterfly and moth caterpillars have to prevent birds finding them and eating them. They do a bit of damage but a mature rose is able to withstand that sort of thing.

The flies might be a type of hoverfly  or a type of drone fly - it's almost impossible to say without a photo and a description of their size. If they are hoverflies or drone flies they are goodies.

07/08/2014 at 15:58

..I'm afraid you've most likely cut off good flowering wood by removing those red stems...  they are usually different from the main growth until they mature...and blend in.... 

...I saw a Princess Alexandra of Kent planted at a garden centre border today, covered in black spot.... obviously a bad year for this for some people...

07/08/2014 at 16:15

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I have bought Roseclear 4 which seems to be the fungicide of choice for the blackspot. Hopefully, it will recover - it is a strong plant and I shall be more vigilant in future.

07/08/2014 at 16:32
Dont beat youself up Sylvia, its not anything you have or havent done, its just a funny year, even my wild edric got it, and that is a very tough rose!
07/08/2014 at 20:09

Sylvia, do the following, remove all the affected leaves and any on the ground and any detritus. Spray the whole plant with fungicide including any flowers, also spray the ground around the rose. Mulch heavily, feed and water well. It may look a bit bare in places, but this method does work, any affected regrowth remove and spray again. 

It's been a bad year for black spot as we had little or no frost and even the disease resistant roses have been affected.

email image
7 messages