Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cobaea

It's a native of Mexico where it is perennial.  However, in Britain, it's grown as an annual because it can't cope with temps below +5C.

You could try taking cuttings to keep indoors but given the speed of growth I'd stick with sowing it fresh every year in late Jan/early Feb and then, by the time the frosts are over in mid May, you should have a good sized plant to put out in the garden and give an impressive display all summer.

• Oblelixx is right Sara4,I grow them every year by a pergola near the house, which gives them warm and shelter to a degree. They come in lilac and white and after making rapid growth they flower their their socks off from now till the frosts blacken them. The flowers last for a few days turning darker as they age. I have tried digging up the plant and over wintering in the house but without success. I have been threatening to stop growing them in the last bad summer when the cuttings have not performed as the seeds are quite expensive! But capituclate when I see the beautiful exortic looking flowers as once the plant has warmth and sun it needs little care.So enjoy! image

• I've grown cobaea from seed for the first time this year so I'm encouraged that there is still time for the buds to open. They've had big buds for a few weeks now.     I live in Cornwall where it should be warmer and they are in a sheltered position.

I've grown one in a pot and there is only a tiny bud on that one but I'm hoping to over-winter it in the conservatory and plant it out next year