London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
8 messages
14/07/2012 at 17:55

I grew cobaea from seed earlier in the year and as they are sunlovers , I was wondering if they will survive the horrendous rain this summer. They are in a fairly well drained  southwest facing plot against a trellis and are stiil growing well but not doing as well as I thought. I planted some Colour Fashion sunflower seeds amongst them but they've given up the ghost - not one seed has germinated.  Do you think I may get any flowers eventually ? Thanks, Jean.

14/07/2012 at 18:11

Mine are about 10 inches high, and I don't honestly expect any flowers this year - unless on Monday we start with a heatwave, which at present looks pretty unlikely.

Never mind, next year will be wonderful, it always is ..........

14/07/2012 at 18:15

Right , thats it. I'm taking up knitting ! I nurtured those for months.

14/07/2012 at 19:52

Don't give up on them yet Jean - you may get some flowers at the end of the summer- they always flower late for me

Pam x

14/07/2012 at 20:04

Will do Pam , I just get so downhearted with this weather -  wanted to plant my sink today but no such luck ! I have heard next week is going to be much better , here's hoping . Thanks Pam.

14/07/2012 at 21:07

I grew mine from seed this year, and they are doing surprisingly well.  Last year, the nurtured plants sulked in the cold of early summer, but made up for it by flowering their socks off from mid-August to November.  (They would have kept going until Christmas I think - but I cut them down and removed them before the frost could make them into a sorry mess!)

So I wouldn't give up just yet - I have high hopes that a bit of sun (please) and therefore better light and warmth will send them into ecstasies of flowering! 

14/07/2012 at 22:04

I agree with Violet - even if the weather continues poor, I think that you will get a few flowers. They'll be worth the wait, you'll see.

15/07/2012 at 12:41

Thank you - I will await the outcome - at least they haven't drowned !

email image
8 messages