Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

collecting ranunculus seeds?

sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i want to collect ranunuculus seeds and from what i have read up on it it says to collect fresh seed, what i cannot find via google is whether this means to collect now (the flower has just fallen and there is a green seed head) or whether i have to wait until it dries whilst still on the flower stem.

if anyone has tried this and has advise or knows when i have to collect the seeds this would be a great help

thanks 

sam

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

You must wait until the seed head is dry - pray for a sunny summer! - and then collect the seed pods.   The seeds are on the outside of the pod, and will rub off very easily.   Good luck!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

They need to be collected when still green, but when they can be rubbed off ,gently. Sow straight away as they have a limited life span.

Not the easiest of things to collect as you need to get the timing just right, too soon and they are not ready, too late and they will not germinate.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Shame, Sanjy, you seem to be getting conflicting advice.   I can only think that when the word 'green' is used, it means not old and desiccated.   I have collected and grown them from seed, but in a warmer country (image), and my seeds were definitely dry and straw coloured, but they were fresh.

Maybe you can try half and half.

Well, when ever I have tried them from dry, straw coloured seeds, germination has been virtually nil, but taken when still slightly green, I get 100 percent. This is generally true for all members of the Ranunculaceae. Taking them still green and sowing straight away is standard practice for this family.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

imageimageimage thank you both for replies, is it right that once i have collected the seed that...

1) i put it in seed trays and keep in a cool garage over the winter ( i haven't a green house or cold frame) i do have a glass perspex roofed laundry room which is baking hot in summer and freezing cold in winter

2) do i have to water them through out the winter (ive never sown seeds in this manner before)

3) what do i do with them after that, after the winter

I have googled all this info but it's not readily available for this country, i'm on the south east coast image

• Google "ranunculus baskins", the first hit should take you to a section on ranunculus and papaveraceae.

Ranunculus doesn't have orthodox seed, it is recalcitrant i.e.it will lose viability when dried and cooled.

The seed once sown does not need to be kept indoors. I put mine in a protected, shady spot outside over winter. Keep them watered though, if it goes dry. They should germinate in Spring,

thank you very much image

my ranunculous have mainly dropped all their petals now, i want to collect the seeds but i'm not sure when 'fresh' seed is ready, one of the seed heads has been petalless for quite a few weeks but the seeds still don't rub off, how long do i have to wait till they come off and does sowing them 'fresh' mean i sow them as soon as they 'fall'? and once i have collected the seed should i dig them up and what should i do with them then or leave them in the ground (i'm on the south east coast)