London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
4 messages
27/02/2014 at 14:49

I've got a small area of bare soil close to a driveway which I like to brighten with shrubs/perennials. Shrubs compact about 3 ft x 3 ft to give a wow factor. My other plants in that boarder include grasses, salvias, verbena (tall ones and compact ones), geraniums and bulbs. Anyone have ideas of shrubs/perennials with a wow factor/

27/02/2014 at 15:03

What about Gaura lindheimeri? Flowers from May to September, also white varieties

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38453.jpg?width=194&height=260&mode=max

27/02/2014 at 16:10

Shrubs 3 x 3' with a wow factor

Some of the small hebes are lovely......folage colour varying from red to cream to grey to shades of green with flowers.

Abelia Confettii.......check out this beauty.

Caryopteris varieties.....sterling silver has blue grey foliage topped in late summer with bright blue flowers.  Also Summer  Sorbet with same blue flowers but with beautiful yellow leaves

How about a couple of winter heathers like carnea, darleyensis and mediterranea all with winter flowers and some have winter foliage colour?

Not a shrub but penstemons are evergreen perennials with lots of summer flowers at about 3 or 4'

Some small dwarf conifers like juniperus blue star ....blue foliage and evergreen....planted with an orange echinacea, for example, will provide the wow factor

If you have acid soil check out kalmia, dwarf rhododendrons and azaleas.  

For scent and attractive evergreen foliage look at daphne odoraaureomarginata 

Check out santolina lemon fizz......butter yellow foliage

27/02/2014 at 16:18

Thanks Ashleigh 2..That's a beauty of a Gaura. The write up is very positive and its compact too.

Thankds Verdun...Abelia is pretty too easy to grow. Love the colours. I have some penstemones growing in that boarder.

I've come across Weigela 'All summer red' compact shrub in the current garden magazine.

email image
4 messages