London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
4 messages
06/07/2012 at 11:49

Hi there!

We're just about to get a small patch of rockery put into our garden.  I am completely clueless about gardening (hoping it will become my new obsession), and was wondering what type of plants would be suitable to put in there.

Our garden is small, and the rockery patch will be on a slight slope.  I don't want anything too high maintenance, but would like it to look pretty.

Any help appreciated! We live in a suburb of Aberdeen, so not the warmest of climates.

Thanks.

06/07/2012 at 12:44

Littlegardener, Rockeries were all the rage when I was a lot younger, Alpines, Saxifraga, Daphne, Erinus, Aubrieta and always Viola. The list is long and you really need a nursery or garden centre that has them. I live on the North East coastal area with the same problems as you will have, the weather mainly comes off the north sea so much cooler although it can be drier than other parts of the country.
Whilst your rockery is installed and left to settle make a study of what grows around your area, check out the Garden Centres and any plant centres, you will usually find they are very happy to answer queries and give advice on setting it all up. If you use local suppliers they will have stock that is used to the conditions in the area.
You will have fun trying things, some disasters we all do, even Monty Don showed us some of his disasters on TV this year so do not be put off by them, try something else instead, experiment with seed and plants and above all do not expect a perfect rockery in the first year or even for a year or two after, gardens have to evolve.

Frank

06/07/2012 at 17:33

Be nosy; see what your neighbours have. If you are lucky, they might even give you little clumps of what works really well in their gardens. But do work out if this rock garden gets A.  a lot of sun

B. a little

C. none

All of this will influence what will work in this area. Good Luck

07/07/2012 at 06:59

And in the autumn buy some little bulbs of iris reticulata and plant them in clusters in the lee of your rocks and then forget about them.  Then next year, after you've been wondering whether the spring is ever going to come, you'll wander around your garden and see these http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Harlow-Carr/About-Harlow-Carr/Plant-of-the-month/March/Iris-reticulata and they'll make your heart glad and rekindle your love of gardening again, ready for the new growing season 

email image
4 messages