Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Confused Crocus?

Why are my purple crocuses blooming now?  According to my garden diary they bloomed for a week in March  these last two years. Very odd.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Maybe they're autumn crocuses or maybe colchicums

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I don't think so as I bought them as a mixed spring flowering lot. The yellow and purple ones flowered together in March.

Have they got leaves?image

No they haven't which has made me suspicious. I bought some iris reticulata  bulbs recently and I think there must have been a mistake as I'm sure these crocuses are coming up where I planted the irises. These look like crocus speciosus to me What do you think? I've never bought any of those!

I think you're right Doris, C. speciosus, right on timeimage

I've had a lot of wrong bulbs over the last few years, I'm sure things were more reliable in the past.

• I can't exactly dig them up and take them back to Wyevale for a refund can I?

No, but you could take their photo along and get some replacement irisesimage

• Yes I thought of that but they may give me a bag of crocuses again! Especially if there's a problem at their suppliers. Worth a try anyway. Thanks