London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
3 messages
11/05/2014 at 09:18

Bought some plugs of Coleus and am now wondering if it was wise here in Scotland. People give me mixed information on Coleus.  Only put it in the house, yes you can put it outside but be careful with them.  I'm not sure what to do with them.  Any advice?  I have six very small plants and have temporarily put them in tubs outside with other things intending to move them when they grow a bit - but to where that is the question? 

11/05/2014 at 09:35

Coleus are frost tender - they can be planted out and used as summer bedding - when the frosts come in the autumn some people discard them as they would annuals, but they can be taken up and potted and kept indoors as a houseplant.  

Cut over-wintered plants back in the spring and root the cuttings and you've got another set of bedding plants.

11/05/2014 at 10:26

Coleus is one of those plants that put a smile on your face, they do need a little help. A minimum temp of 55F or 13C in new language (which I do not use) so will need some shelter and cover until the end of May.

You need to keep potting them on in a John Innes number thee mixture until you reach six or eight inch pots nip out any flowers and take out the growing tips every two or three weeks to get a large bushy Plants. Feed the plants weekly adding liquid fertiliser to the watering can they are greedy.

Keep them in the pots and put the pots where there is sun (do you get any in Scotland) probably up against a sheltering wall or fence A patio is usually a good place if you sit there then the plants will.

So important things, Pot on, Pinch out, fertilise once a week, remove flowers. As Dove says you can over winter them indoors then take cuttings, the colours will fade they need a little water then in Spring trim them and take fresh cuttings.

Frank.

email image
3 messages