Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Conifer renovation (and identification)

jonny_1jonny_1 Posts: 8

I have a conifer at the front of my house that I'd like to reduce in size (I'm worried it's going to get massive) and tidy up around the base somewhat (as it's uneven and looks a mess!).

I'd ideally like to cut the top off (approx the midpoint between the two windows), and then improve the shape around the bottom with hedge trimmers to give a smoother more uniform shape. 

Can anyone offer any more advice on doing the above?  Am I likely to end up with brown dead patches where I tidy up towards to the bottom?  Can I just cut off at the desired height, then shape towards it in a point?  Am I too late?

Can anyone identify it?

Pics:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11938632/v1n38dzci5.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11938632/xcsytc2xyf.jpg

• Me too  Jonnywimage there are so many smaller and prettier trees that you could replace it with image and conifer roots are easier than most to deal with any left in the ground rot down well.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

renovating conifer's never really works well, they never grow back to the same form, if take the top off you wont get a nice tapered top growth, you'll get a clump.

either leave it as is and deal with the shade/lack of views or remove it and replace with another tree.

• Grown many a golden conifer (from patio pots) in beds near the house and ended up with what was a lovely 3,4,5foot conifer that ended up an out of shape tatty one I feel guilty about taking out. (Got one in the front garden at the momentimage must visit GC to get something to fill it's place)  I know it's hard but be big and brave and get the saw out

• jonny_1jonny_1 Posts: 8

@Tetley

Ha ha.  I wondered if it was a subtle way of saying to just cut it down!

@primrosecottage

Which smaller and prettier trees would you recommend? 

My requirements would be cheap (ish), quick to grow to size (i.e. to cover the bottom window), and ideally straight forward to maintain. Oh, and of course pretty! Does such a tree exist?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I'd get rid of it it has to be trimmed from start
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

In a word jonny - no image

I wouldn't plant anything too hefty near the window or you'll just end up with the same problem, or you'll be constantly pruning and trimming to keep it in check. There are lots of nice shrubs which will fit the bill. A philadelphus could be nice there - do you want something evergreen though?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Yes,I'm thinking evergreen, or something with a lot of branches to maintain privacy. 

Interestingly we have one of those in the back garden. 

I think I'll maybe trim the conifer now, and immediately start planning for it's replacement in case it ends up looking worse than it already does!

Cheers again all image

• iceice Posts: 332
    We have one that we chopped back. Took 6 plus foot off top and shaved sides back. Not amazing but OH likes it and it helps block the road