London (change)
Sat 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
3 messages
23/11/2012 at 09:32

My beautiful Conifers/Cypress are browning/dying/drying out from the bottom up and from inside out. Any ideas what is causing this and what i can do to fix this?

23/11/2012 at 11:06

What are they? Conifers aren't all the same. Any part of a conifer that doesn't get light will go brown. The inside is always brown. If you trim off the green parts and expose the brown you won't get more green coming in most conifers. There are a few exceptions.

Bottom branches of trees tend to die back as the top growth stops their light. The exceptions are the ones that are broader at the base and keep the light. Have you got a pic so we can see what's happening

23/11/2012 at 11:12
I have lost two junipers over past couple of years because of phytophthora and the symptoms were much as you describe. But, red spider mite/spruce mite, etc., do damage to juniper, picea causing needle drop but this damage is done in summer when weather is hot n dry. Wind burn too but conifers tend to brown off as they get taller anyway. Is it possible they are too dry, despite all the rain this year?
email image
3 messages