Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Controlong Japanese Maple size

RococoRococo Posts: 18

Hi all,

ive seen a pretty good deal for Japanese Maples online - you have to buy 3 pre chosen for you - im renovating a friends garden with a long border and thought they looked ideal but my problem is one of the Acers apparently gets up to 15 metres? the others at 1.5 and 3 metres are manageable.

Is it possible to control the size of the large one down to 3 metres with judicious pruning? Im a beginner so unsure 'bonsaiing' to that extent would be a good idea...

Many Thanks!

• RococoRococo Posts: 18

Is this an obscure question?

I really thought someone would have a good idea here about Japanese Maples - come on guys and gals!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

It just seems a bit random to have one Acer that is so different from the others.

You do not give any information as to varieties.

If you are helping with a friend's garden who is going to do the pruning (a shame in my opinion) year after year after year?  

They are 'Butterfly' 'Chiyo-Hime' 'Atropurpureum' the latter being the big one - I would like to keep it as its foliage colour is so lovely.

As I said im a beginner and normally wouldn't even consider trying to 'stunt' something to that extent but ive heard that Japanese Maples really lend themselves to 'aesthetic pruning'

I really want to try this out as im learning to prune - it would be me maintaining for him.

Of course if its impossible to maintain the natural shape whilst controlling the size there isn't much point I guess ;( these are such a bargain though..

Hi Verdun,

yes the conditions are perfect - its even an acidic soil! so I thought ideal.

I guess im just concerned that keeping a tree that wants to head for 15m down to 5m max is just too big an ask?

If anyone could recommend good Japanese Maple or Aesthetic pruning books I would really appreciate it