London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
7 messages
02/05/2012 at 18:49

I had a cordiline palm about 10 feet tall. in the winter of 2010 the bad weather stripped it if all its leaves. I left it in, hoping it may come back . Instead 5 new ones grew from the bottom.  Then the high winds we had blew the original down. 

My question is , can I spilt the new ones 

02/05/2012 at 18:52

Yes. You will find that when you break the 'babies' off, they will have roots. My neighbour did this with his cordaline a couple of years ago and he have me three of them.

02/05/2012 at 18:56

Gosh I wish mine would do this. It keeps sprouting babies from the trunk but so far not the base. I'd love some more for free.

02/05/2012 at 19:09

thanks for that .. mine have roots already  I had to remove the original  and discovered it was a dead trunk

04/05/2012 at 16:40

I have several growing from the base of my one. The trunk looked soggy so I cut it down to half size, then it started shooting these babies. I was terrified of splitting them apart and losing them all, but if it's that easy I'll give it a try.

P.S. Mine are still in a cold greenhouse and not sure when to bring them outside. Especially don't want to lose the pink stripey one-'electric pink' I think it is. Should I wait till all frost gone?

04/05/2012 at 18:42

The greeny ones should be OK now (ours has been outside for several weeks) but the pinky ones are less hardy (ours died last year). They needs to be protected from frost and from cold winds, so maybe leave it a bit later, depending on whereabouts you are in the country.

04/05/2012 at 21:31

Thankyou GM for your valuable advice. Will try splitting the green one after this cold spell.

email image
7 messages