Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cordyline

LG_LG_ Posts: 4,353
Hello. I have two cordylines in my garden that were here when we moved in. One has two main stems and is about 12 feet tall, the other is about 5-6 feet tall. I have some questions: 1. The trunk of the big one is covered in dead leaves, which drop at a rate of 2 or 3 a day. Can i just pull off the others, or will it do the plant any harm? 2. The dead flowerhead from last year is still there - should I have removed it? It didn't flower this year - is this why? 3. I'd like to move the smaller one - it's really close to a massive leylandii on the boundary, gets precious little light and virtually no moisture. It looks rather sad and I'm sure it would be happier elsewhere if I can move it successfully. The ground also seems very compacted (I've only recently cut back loads of stuff that was all around it). Any tips on moving cordylines? Thanks in advance!
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• LG_LG_ Posts: 4,353
    PS Top tip - dead cordyline leaves are brilliant for starting / kindling fires image I would normally put them on the compost heap, but I'll be saving them up instead.
    - Cicero
    Your intriguing comment about the root system got me searching (which I guess I should have done before!). Found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/articles/2008/01/08/cordylines_feature.shtml which might be useful to people with the same issues as me.

I think I'll leave the small one where it is as it doesn't sound like I'm likely to be successful moving it - especially as I'm not sure it'll be more than an inch before I hit rubble in that spot... Am hoping that now I've given it a bit more light by cutting stuff back it might cheer up.

But I will take your advice on caring for the big one, thank you for replying.
    - Cicero
    I quite like the height it is at the moment (it wouldn't do to get much taller though) - I'll see if it perks up in the next month or so now it's got more light, and if not I'll take it down a bit.

On the other hand, if i cut it down a bit it would seem I might get more than one shoot appearing - I would like it to branch a bit... is it okay to keep all shoots that come?
    - Cicero
    Marvellous - sounds like a plan. Thank you.

PS Ridiculously long screen name, I know, but nothing else I thought of was available!
    - Cicero