London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
2 messages
15/09/2012 at 12:51

have just bought this plant,(cortaderia sellana 'splendid star') lable discribes it as a low pampas  grass,growing to 70cm. This i can manage, but have just looked it up on line and they say it gets to about 120cm nearly twice the size. Has any one grow this out there please need some advice, as am changing boarder around tomorrow so needed to know whereto put it

15/09/2012 at 23:25

Hi, I copied the info below from the Gardener's World web site.Although I haven't grown this variety before it sounds manageable.They say it often does not reach the height  of 120 cm and it is this height with the flowers. I would place it at the back of the border as even if it does not get to its full height you will be able to grow a lot of other smaller plants in front of it. It also does not come into its own until late summer so for a lot of the year its leaves can be a backdrop for other plants.Hope this helps.

From Gardener's World web site: Traditional pampas grass is a familiar sight in the grounds of many stately homes, but it's often too big and bulky for many smaller gardens. Fortunately, this recently introduced dwarf variety has revived interest in this plant and it's being used more frequently by gardeners look for something a bit different. The plant retains its leaves throughout the year and has delicate, golden-green leaves that give a garden a modern, prairie-style look. It produces tall, feather-like white flowers in late summer that will double the height of the plant, although it rarely reaches higher than 1.2m (4ft). It does best in a sunny or partially shaded spot, and prefers light, sandy or well-drained soil.

Family: Gramineae

Genus: Cortaderia

Species: selloana

Cultivar: Splendid Star

Plant type: Evergreen shrub

Foliage colour: Golden

Feature: Dramatic foliage

Sun exposure: Full sun, Partial shade

Soil: Well-drained/light, Clay/heavy, Moist

Hardiness: Hardy

Skill level: Beginner

Height: 120cm