London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
03/04/2013 at 20:28
Help......I think I have sown my cosmos too early! I sown the seeds of my cosmos in the middle feb. they now are now about 8cm tall with flower buds in them. I have just today moved them out into my plastic pop up greenhouse to slow them down a bit. Question is can I pinch out the flower heads or should I start again?? I expected ur weather to be a bit warmer!!
03/04/2013 at 20:31

They do grow quickly John-yes you can take the flower heads out -will make stronger plants to go out

03/04/2013 at 20:32
Excellent. Thanks!! Hopefully they will survive out in my greenhouse until it warms up
Lyn
03/04/2013 at 20:35
This is the problem when you sow too early, by the time they are ready to go out, you probably will have to repot them
I sowed mine today.
03/04/2013 at 21:00
John I agree with Geoff but I also pot on. I repot at least twice, planting slightly deeper each time and pinching out regularly. I then have large bushy sturdy plants to put into the garden in late May
It's prob a lot milder down here but, yes, they should be fine in unheated greenhouse. If cold at night have some fleece to hand
03/04/2013 at 23:23

Cosmos are one of the most reliable germinating seeds and also incredibly quick to come up. I grow lots and lots and lots of white ones, never coloured ones. I haven't planted my seeds yet, there' still time for this super plant. As they are a relatvely large seed I now grow them in modular trays one per module. This way you don't check them as much if you pot on. Also if you grow in normal trays they are so quick to get going that ofen the roots are matted together before you blinkand I end up literally tearing them apart as you can't distinguish what roots belong to which plant.

I agree that if you have plants now keep pinching out for best results.

Lyn
04/04/2013 at 18:34
I sowed some in june last year and they bloomed right up to winter, when the wind just snapped them off.
04/04/2013 at 18:43

well i use homebase compost and look how great my houseplant in my loaf have growing

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20982.jpg?width=184&height=274&mode=max

04/04/2013 at 18:48

they bud well nice

04/04/2013 at 22:42
Wood green, I share your fondness for the whites.....I grow these in groups. When sun shines they just glisten. And in partial shade they light up the area.
I grow colours too but wait to see what they are and match them up.
Funnily enough.....contrary to how I previously thought....they do better in good soil. I pre-empt their increased vigour by further pinching. ( great believer in the Chelsea chop and regular pinching out)
04/04/2013 at 23:02
I'm growing Cosmos from seed for the first time to add throughout the garden. Would like to grow the all white varieties but was seduced by 'Picotee' with its raspberry coloured edging! Any top tips or recommendations for care, other varieties etc
Lyn
04/04/2013 at 23:14
If you live in a windy area, make sure you stake them. Dead heading makes for more flowers. I love them all.
05/04/2013 at 08:50
Shadow weaver, pinch out two or three times over next few weeks to make plants stockier and more flor...floliffruss, florilififieereeous, .....er, to give more flowers (ha ha)
05/04/2013 at 09:11
Oops!! I too thought i had sown too early as they shot up
And went leggy so potted them on.... I hadn't realised about pinching
out though !!!! Do you mean at first leaf stage or later ??? Thanks
05/04/2013 at 09:26
Verdun wrote (see)
Shadow weaver, pinch out two or three times over next few weeks to make plants stockier and more flor...floliffruss, florilififieereeous, .....er, to give more flowers (ha ha)

05/04/2013 at 09:47
Verdun wrote (see)
Wood green, I share your fondness for the whites.....I grow these in groups. When sun shines they just glisten. And in partial shade they light up the area.
I grow colours too but wait to see what they are and match them up.
Funnily enough.....contrary to how I previously thought....they do better in good soil. I pre-empt their increased vigour by further pinching. ( great believer in the Chelsea chop and regular pinching out)

I dont think the chelsea chop will work this year with the terrible weather we are having.lol. Apart from tete-a-tete in flower, nothing is really romping away yet.lol

05/04/2013 at 10:41
stupidoldgit wrote (see)

well i use homebase compost and look how great my houseplant in my loaf have growing

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20982.jpg?width=350

Is Cosmos the only thing you are growing? I tlooks like cannabis hydroponics.

05/04/2013 at 12:32

You are lucky. I sowed mine mid march in a tray in my coldframe - absolutely nothing 

David

05/04/2013 at 12:56

I grew Cosmos from seed last year and ended up with 6 ft tall plants that looked more like shrubs than annuals, with no flowers until October, and then only a few. I read somewhere that they need a lot of sunshine to flower well. I am trying again this year. 

05/04/2013 at 13:33
blairs wrote (see)
stupidoldgit wrote (see)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20982.jpg?width=350

Is Cosmos the only thing you are growing? I tlooks like cannabis hydroponics.

I would agree, it does look like a canabis farm. Also the comment "they bud well nice" is a bit suspicious

1 to 20 of 25 messages