Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cosmos sturdy and full but no flowers

I found a thread from last year where people were complaining that Sensation mixed were not flowering properly. I've used this strain too, grown from seed this year, and planted about 15 plugs in late April. They are tall, strong, bushy (I pinched out) and utterly without blooms. One single one has put out three flowers, one after the other, the others show no sign or interest. Anyone else having a bad cosmos year? They're taking over the garden and swamping other plants I'm trying to grow and I'm starting to wonder whether to just pull them all up.

Last edited: 12 August 2017 10:45:10

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

I also recall this thread mentioned & a similar one this year too. Have you tried tomato feed to encourage flowers? I wouldn't pinch out any more as this will combine with delaying the blooms

Last edited: 12 August 2017 12:15:56

• No, I've not tried any feed. Just bunged them in the ground! It's clay soil which I always suspect for any failures but they did so well in my neighbour's garden last year I assumed they'd be fine.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I wonder if it's genetics.
    I have a few cosmos that haven't flowered - right next to the same variety that is in full flower. They're all huge plants that I pinched out months ago. Most in full flower, some no flowers all in the same soil. I don't doubt that they will flower eventually - but most of the plants have been flowering for a a couple of months now.
    e.g. The one huge plant at the front of the photo has no blooms, but the surrounding plants are covered in flowers - all from the same packet.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have huge flowerless bushes as well. Don't know which sort, given to me by a friend. Her plants are all the same 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Another mystery of the cosmos :)

Billericay - Essex

Pete8 says:

Another mystery of the cosmos :)

See original post

image Yes, Pete

I remember watching Monty a few months ago planting out his cosmos.
    The plants were in tiny modules, but about 18" tall and looked a bit starved.
    Maybe we giving them too much tlc

And why do some grow to 7ft and others grow to 2ft - out of the same packet. image

But whatever - they're lovely and I wouldn't be without them

Billericay - Essex

• imageThis is mine. Literally nothing.

that could be mine, I've even squeezed the tips to see if I can feel a bud forming. Nothing image

• GrajeanGrajean Posts: 447

Same here, double click are finally flowering but the rest are just green clumps not a sign of a bud.