London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
9 messages
08/08/2013 at 19:24

Forgive the mess in the foreground of the picture - remnants of a decimated laurel which will soon be gone.  The raised bed the cosmos is in is about a foot off the ground and as you can see they have reached the top of the fence - the 'delicate fern like leaves' aren't all that delicate and they don't look like they're planning to bloom any time soon!  Have I bought a giant breed?  (50p each at a village fete) or are they just happy?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/29053.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

08/08/2013 at 19:27

Ha ha Sara 4 , did you by any chance add manure to the bed before planting the cosmos? The same thing happened to me last year. Hardly any flowers but I nearly had to take an axe to the stems in the autumn.

08/08/2013 at 19:32

Yes WB - It's a new bed at the back (the stupid falling down brick one was a stand alone home for the evil laurel) and it consists entirely of top soil, compost and horse manure.  I take it I should have grown the cosmos in more austere conditions!  Glad to hear I'm not the only one that makes mistakes though ...

08/08/2013 at 19:34

I'm still digging the stumps out...

08/08/2013 at 19:42

I grew the cosmos seeds from G W magazine,in ordinary multi purpose ,in containers,several are well over three feet not as tall as yours but still beautful.

08/08/2013 at 19:58

Hi Gilly - It's more that mine are huge in proportion - I feel like I've planted giant sequoias by accident.  Waterbutts - I thankfully have a mini-digger coming so I can finish my pond - I plan to scrape the rest of the laurel out with that, so I may aim it towards the cosmos too .... I'll be breaking by-laws about tree height soon.

08/08/2013 at 20:09

It's funny how so many flowering plants grow massive instead of flowering when they've got good soil. Greedy lot don't want to share the goodness with their offspring!

08/08/2013 at 21:17

I grew the GW Cosmos Purity seeds and they are all around 4ft tall and flowering well now.

08/08/2013 at 21:24

I grew GW Purity free seeds as well, mine are at least 3 foot tall, they even withstood the hottest of the weather with minimal watering.........goodness knows how tall they would have got with rain as well

email image
9 messages