London (change)
Wed 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 9°C
6 messages
21/05/2012 at 19:59

Hi.

Does anyone know what i have done wrong to make my cosmos start flowering at a foot tall.?

I havent even planted them in the garden yet.

I have grown them from the seed i collected in my garden last year so not dwarf.

Can i pinch out flower buds? .. or will they still grow to a good height anyway?

Thank you.

21/05/2012 at 20:17
Well I'm not sure why you think you've done anything wrong! Yes, you could pinch them out, but in my experience cosmos have a very long flowering period if you're fairly diligent with dead heading.
21/05/2012 at 20:43

thanks for response.

i just thought they would be more 3 - 4 ft ?

25/05/2012 at 14:31

Hi, I had two beautiful cosmos last summer, I put them out at mid June and both had masses of flowers right through until the end of September ( remember to dead head though) and neither of them were more than about a foot and a half. 

25/05/2012 at 14:50

they can start flowering at a foot tall, but keep growing and flowering, becoming quite bushy - enjoy

25/05/2012 at 20:26
Do you know what variety they are? I like growing Purity (white) and Dazzler (deep pink) - last year the same thing happened to me, flowering very early on tiny plants! But they ended up massive last year, some of them 5-6ft! And were covered in flowers well into the autumn. I would worry.
email image
6 messages