London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
06/08/2012 at 14:55

Can anybody give me advice about growing crocosmia?  I have bought them as plants and they didn't come up the following year.  I have bought them as bulbs, planted them and waited and waited and waited..........and I'm still waiting!

My garden is ordinary garden soil - what am I doing wrong?

Una.

06/08/2012 at 15:11

Do you know the varieties? I have a large bright orange one that seems to cope with anything, but the smaller pale orange one has struggled and finally given up the ghost this year.

06/08/2012 at 15:12

Hello,

Usually they grow with no effort or looking after, and spead like mad. Not sure if you are doing anything wrong,could it be that the bulbs you were bought were old?

I think if you haven't seen them come up yet, they are not likely too. Sorry not to be more help

06/08/2012 at 15:14

Ok then - when's the best time of year to buy and plant please?

The bulbs were bought at a flower show - can't remember what time of year but they didn't look very healthy so maybe you're right, Hollie.

06/08/2012 at 15:17
Supernanauna wrote (see)

Can anybody give me advice about growing crocosmia?  I have bought them as plants and they didn't come up the following year.  I have bought them as bulbs, planted them and waited and waited and waited..........and I'm still waiting!

My garden is ordinary garden soil - what am I doing wrong?

Una.

A poster last week was willing to give these away last week for the cost of postage-I don't think you are doing anything wrong as such just may not be the plant for your garden for some reason-this will not cheer you up but they grow like weeds here.

I will see if I can find the offer-just might be worth another go

06/08/2012 at 15:25
06/08/2012 at 15:39

Thanks Geoff - I've sent a msg and hope for a positive response.  Would it be worth trying to grow some in compost in a pot, do you think?

Thanks again,

Una.

06/08/2012 at 15:47

They increase at an alarming rate -I halved my clump last year and this year it is back to the same size-I threw loads away-if only I had known

As you have struggled-why not do half and half and judge the results-the ones in pots might then be able to be planted out if the garden ones fail

06/08/2012 at 17:18
Best to buy crocosmias in good sized pots, not corms, etc. they really are a very i vigorous plants, even the smallest of varieties. You are sure to see them in garden centres now or in B & Q, etc. crocosmias are weeds in Cornwall...we are constantly digging them up. It's wild cousin montbretia can be seen in the hedgerows, fields etc etc. I think crocosmias are damaged by frost if it's severe in colder parts of the country
email image
9 messages