London (change)
Today 4°C / -2°C
Tomorrow 4°C / 1°C
21 to 40 of 40 messages
26/08/2014 at 21:18

Sounds a good plan KS. I didn't use a drill but the crocuses planted in narrow holes in the lawn are the ones that are still there

26/08/2014 at 21:24

I planted some last year so will be waiting to see if they are still there.

I dug up some daffs at the weekend whilst planting trees.  Surprised me that they have shoots.  Do they normally at this time of year, do you know?

26/08/2014 at 21:26
As a result of 'supply & demand' Nowadays many bulbs are massed produced by means of cell culture. Tiny particles of originals are take. Then those particles are grown on in a chemical known as Agar. The cultures are then raised to a suitable point of development in laboratories. Then rapidly grown on from there. It has meant that vast numbers can be quickly raised and at a reduced marketable price. However, it does appear that this process has not yet been able to offer any guarantee asto flowering. Hope this helps.
26/08/2014 at 21:33

Brilliant idea KS!

I love crocus - mine are mostly in the raised beds I made last year but I have some in plastic pots to fill gaps and to put inside nice pots which then get switched round with other things when the crocus are finished. I lay fine netting over some of them when planting to stop squirrels but there's not much you can do if you have loads of mice,voles etc eating them. Rabbits eat them when they're out the ground too so if you have bunnies plant them in tall pots or grow daffs and snowdrops instead! 

26/08/2014 at 21:42

You wont regret the time you spent planting them Fishy, where ever that might be. They are such lovely plants, great for early emerging insects. Even if a few survive they will go on and multiply......... you will always get some show.

The only thing I've learnt from planting them as with all the smaller bulbs is plant more! Chuck them in

26/08/2014 at 22:13
FOA Bob the gardener. Nice planters Bob. Clean and tidy. Did you make them yourself? I imagine you to be somewhat like myself. A dab hand at DIIY in the garden.
Lyn
26/08/2014 at 22:35

Thats a good idea Hollie, dig a hole about 2 ft square by about 4 inches deep and chuck them in.

What colour did you get Fishy?

26/08/2014 at 23:15

Hi folks - its strange that of all plant families in my garden,those sprouting from bulbs are so few in number. Snowdrops and Bluebells,that's been about it until I bought these.

Lyn - the pack says 'Crocus Botanical Mixed' and shows white,yellow and lilac. Plant between August and December.

27/08/2014 at 09:00

I might pop down and get some of those Fishy 

Lyn
27/08/2014 at 09:08

I have ordered some from Parkers, They are called Ruby Giant and Chrysanthus cream. In actual fact, they are purple and yellow, I wonder who names these plants. 

27/08/2014 at 12:48

Home Bargains OL - do you have one in Blackpool? 

Lyn
27/08/2014 at 13:07

I have never heard of that shop Fishy, we have a 99p shop in Launceston and my daughter has a cheap one called Buyology in St Austell, I like a look around there when I visit her.

Will you put the bulbs round the pond, the bees love them in early Spring.

27/08/2014 at 14:06

Sounds regional then Lyn. We have 99p stores here though and they amount to pretty much the same thing. Indeed I could put them around the pond,or at least some.

Out of interest,have you ever visited Jamaica Inn? I love the book by Daphne du Maurier,much better than that dreary TV adaptation earlier this year,the one where you couldn't hear a word they said 

Lyn
27/08/2014 at 14:12

Yes, spitting distance Fishy!

Photo from wayyyyyy back

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57719.jpg?width=350

Terrible sound on that production, would have been good, maybe?

27/08/2014 at 14:21

That's the place  I agree,had the sound matched the visuals,it would have been a good production. I thought it was my television until all the complaints started coming in to the BBC.

27/08/2014 at 14:51

Yes we have a Home Bargains, there are 4 near me!!!  I obviously live in a common part of the country........not at all right for a lady really  Their HO is in Liverpool and they have stores all over the UK, not so many down in the south west though it seems. 

27/08/2014 at 22:14

Fishy you have a PM 

26/09/2014 at 23:16

I bought some more crocus bulbs recently and today I've planted some around the pond edge,thinking how nice they'll look. Of course, I completely forgot they like it dry or well drained. Best get them dug up again tomorrow  *sigh*

26/09/2014 at 23:33

You can put some snakes head fritillaries round the pond Fishy

26/09/2014 at 23:41

Brilliant idea nut  They like it damp don't they - though with my track record I'll plant them under the ash tree where its nice and dry 

email image
21 to 40 of 40 messages