London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
11 messages
27/06/2013 at 12:25

Just bought a small curry plant for the moon garden but its looking a bit pathetic near the base. Can they be planted deeper like Lavender or does the plant stock bit need to be above the ground???

27/06/2013 at 13:00

Hiya Oakley.  Don't plant it deep if ground is,heavy.  Or mix grit Imto the soil and you can plant little deeper. The poorer the soil the more silver the foliage

I think the curry plant is the best silver there is.  Lots of sun and dry soil and that curry smell in September and October....fantastic.

Prob not what you want to,hear but I would cut it back a little....go back to a pair of,small shoots ..and it will grow quickly and more densely.  It's a plant I grow to be as dense as possible and pruning is good way to do it

27/06/2013 at 13:04

Strikes well from cuttings too - I use little sideshoots with a heel 

27/06/2013 at 13:25

That's great Verdun. The grounds not to bad at that end of the garden so should be able to drop it a little then  The whole garden needs some good stuff put in the garden but I have been pocket planting, however, if the curry plant prefers poor soil, that will save some compost lol. I did wonder if it would need to be cut back too. I don't mind as not in flower and know it will benefit from it.

Dove, I didn't realise that cuttings were so easy to take from them  Thats great news  More free plants  Thanks guys for your help.

27/06/2013 at 13:36

Oh, Oakley, I never let the flowers form.  Some like them but I think it spoils the silvery dome.  Cuttings so easy as dove says....do this every year...so you will have as many curry plants next year as you want

27/06/2013 at 13:39

Ahhhh, I did see some in flower today and was kinda thinking of keeping trimmed so it wont go to flower. Thankyou 

27/06/2013 at 13:54
Oakley Witch wrote (see)

.... didn't realise that cuttings were so easy to take from them  Thats great news  More free plants  Thanks guys for your help.

Just take the lower leaves off so they don't rot in contact with the soil. 

27/06/2013 at 15:56

Very similar to Lavender cuttings then?

KEF
27/06/2013 at 16:08

I don't like yellow on silver so have just cut my flowers off. Do root easily I stole mine years ago  from a garden which had spread onto the pavement, only a tiny piece of new growth. Naughty KEF. But it now has a good home and was happy in a pot when we first moved.

27/06/2013 at 16:43

KEF. That's not stealing.  You saved its life cos ultimately it would have been run over by a car.  So, not a thief you are a hero!

27/06/2013 at 16:48

I agree lol

email image
11 messages