Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cut back kniphofia foliage?

Hi All, I have several lovely specimens of toffee nosed kniphofia (red hot poker only cream coloured). Some of the foliage is brown and manky looking others while the rest is quite green and healthy looking. Does anyone know - do I cut all foliage back and how far or just painstakingly cut out the dead foliage only? I've found one piece of advice on another forum saying to cut it all back to 3 inches but am worried in case that's the wrong thing to do and I end up ruining my plants! Thanks, GreenDahlia

• I chop mine back ruthlessly, which freshens it up and also limits its spread somewhat. Mine, however, is the common or garden red/orange variety. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'd chop it all back now, before it begins to grow again.  

If you garden in a sheltered spot and it's already thrusting out new spring leaves then just take out the dead stuff.  

You won't kill it either way. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks, yes, reasonably sheltered and some new growth coming through. Now the green bin is empty again I'll tackle them this weekend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi I have taken out the dead dry leaves, but mine still look very straggly and some leaves are mottled.  can I cut it right back now? or is it too late?

• Bob BobBob Bob Posts: 61

I've had the common ones in the past and they've always responded well to a good cutting back. Helps get fresh air in and you can pull out any damp old debris that has gathered in amongst the foliage.

And snails - I always found a bucketful of snails in there. Seems like a favourite spot for them.

• thanks to all advice, I've cut it back, cleared out lots of debris and yes lots of snails too.

• Bob BobBob Bob Posts: 61

Mine have always grew back fairly rapidly and then spent the entire summer energising the plant as well as sending up plenty of flowering spikes at a rate of knots.