Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cuttings from laurels

hi all, can i take cuttings from laurels and if so how and what time of year is best, thankyou

• yes. i took some in the autumn three years ago and thay are all 2m high now,

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Take cuttings now, should be september, but you can still get away with it now, they root readily and as long as the frost holds off they should root in a few weeks.

• Hi, I read  somewhere that if you bury a lowlying one, it roots a bit like a sucker on a strawberry does and produces a plant that you can snip from the main.  I don't know if you snip the end before burying or not though.  Weather is still warm and ground moist so they should do ok

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Layering, yes. Laurels will sometimes do that naturally if there are very low branches. Pin a stem down firmly to the ground, bend the branch into an upright position and wait for roots to grow.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Have just taken a batch of cuttings from variegated laurel - they'll stay in the relative shelter of a coldframe until next spring, then I'll move them to the base of a sunny south-facing wall to grow on. The bigger ones will go into individual pots, whilst the 'seconds' will probably have to share, three or four to an 8 inch pot. [This material is destined for an aged parent's garden where old overgrown shrubs desperately need severe pruning or grubbing out and new, more diverse planting is planned].

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you want them fairly soon, it may be better to buy them, bare rooted. They are on sale now, or in Dec. They are very cheap if you look on the net.

I planted a row of these in  Jan 2012 they are 4ft tall now and as wide, thats on tough ground with no feeding,just needed quick hedge cover.

Depends how quick you need them, they will root easily, especially from layering, but do take a while to get established roots on, big enough for a hedge.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Can I take Laurel cuttings cuttings now?

The reason I ask My conifer hedge is dying (I cut it back to hard) in the summer (late) as the council was working on the paths

plus conifer can't be used in the compost bin but I thought I would change my hedge if I need to by taking Laurel cuttings from the in-laws hedge

Clueless

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Worth a try James.  I can't see why not

In the sticks near Peterborough