London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
10 messages
24/09/2012 at 15:25

Can anyone tellme where to buy cyclamen tubers ? I have been told that the plants available in the shops may not grow next year and that the only sure way is to buy the tubers as these will grow and spread year after year ? is this true ?

Any help / feedback will be much appreciated, thank you.

24/09/2012 at 16:25

Are you talking about outdoor or indoor plants?

As far as I'm aware, you can't buy tubers for indoor plants, only the plants themselves.

If you're talking about outdoor cyclamen, then these can be bought as growing plants in garden centres over the next few weeks. They can also be bought as tubers, but these can sometimes fail to thrive because they have dried out.

24/09/2012 at 19:00

Alina,

Thank you, i was told that the outdoor plants may not grow as it depends on what side of the tuber they were from ?? but i will give the shopbought plants a try.

Thank you again.

24/09/2012 at 19:05
If you want to grow them outdoors, and you have the appropriate cultivar and site, they will increase. I've just moved a corm the size of a dinner plate, along with a few lesser sized ones.
24/09/2012 at 19:05

If you want them to come back every year make sure you get 'Cyclamen Hederifolum'

Thats the hardy variety. The other Cyclamens will all die off.

24/09/2012 at 19:15

Yes, and that includes the small ones that look like miniature houseplants currently on sale.

Corms - the bottom is the smooth side, the top has bumps or nodules on it - these are where the leaves and flowers come from.

24/09/2012 at 21:35

Cyclamen coum which flowers in January is as tough as C. hederifolium which flowers from August  up to October.

Not sure I understand the "depends on which side of the tuber they were from"   All Cyclamen are grown from seed, it is very difficult to divide the corms (Can be done but not easy) Even the smal tender ones are grown from seed. If Cc. coum and hederifolium like your garden then they will self seed very happily with the seeds being spread by ants.

25/09/2012 at 06:32

Thank you all for your advice.

25/09/2012 at 07:43
Mine would have spread even further if for years I hadn't thought the cyclamen leaves were celandine!
25/09/2012 at 12:15

Mine have spread very happily under a hedge, and have also migrated to a gravel path.

email image
10 messages