London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
10 messages
12/01/2014 at 09:29

I bought a load of shrubs from aldi last year, including a cytisus (broom). I potted it up, and it was quite happy for a few weeks, grew a bit - and then baby snails attacked it, decimating the leaves! To give it a chance to establish, I chucked it in the shed next to a window... And forgot about it! The compost still feels dampish, but it hasn't done much (I know it's winter!), but would the snails have done irreparable damage? I was really looking forward to lots of gorgeous yellow flowers!

My garden is too small to give house room to plants that don't earn their keep, so if it's had it, it will need to go.

12/01/2014 at 09:37

Morning Bex 

It prob will be fine.  Best outside though even in winter. ,are there snails etc in the pot?  Offen if you tip out the plant you will find snails in the pots.  

I think maybe ??ou should leave it a little longer where it is, if there is good light, but then get it outside in early spring.  A few slug pellets or, better, a regular check for snails will help your plant grow. If the pot is small I would pot into larger one in the spring.

12/01/2014 at 11:27

I'd get rid and plant something with a longer season of interest.  Cytisus bloom for a couple of weeks if you're Lucky and then look desperately dull for 50 more weeks.   Try and find something with an extended period of interest such as evergreen foliage, spring bloosom, autumn berries, good autumn leaf colour, colourful winter stems..........

If you are determined to keep it, I would tip it out of its pot, check for snails and snail eggs, repot it in fresh compost and keep it outside in a sheltered spot where its root ball won't freeze.    Scatter some wildlife firendly slug and snail pellets around your pots and garden to prevent any further invasions.   Do that now and every week until late spring, early summer.  That way you'll catch the perishers as they emerge from hibernation or hatch from eggs and before they can either chomp on your treasures or breed.

12/01/2014 at 11:41

Thank you both! I've pulled it out of the shed & trimmed off the decidedly dead bits. Also found a bare root agapanthus that I planted last year (but not too worried about that as I know they take years to establish).

Will go and buy a bag of compost & repot it. Didn't realise it was a boring plant when it's not in flower. I got rid of an evergreen clematis for that reason - gorgeous flowers for three weeks, boring and untidy the rest of the year!

Do you know if there is such a thing as a plant finder website? Somewhere you can put in your growing conditions & wishes & it will make suggestions? Decent sized plants are expensive, so I want to get it right!

12/01/2014 at 11:45

Click on plants in the dark green bar at the top of the page Bex.

or try here

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/

12/01/2014 at 13:06

There is a thread about small online nurseries currently on the go.  Salino has posted a very informative link to numerous suppliers.  

There are nurseries supplying small plants now, the garden centres will soon be supplying Perennials in 9 cm pots.   All these can be potted on to produce good size plants for summer.

Re your broom Bex, yes the period of flowering is quite short but we all love them.  After flowering I prune back ...not past green wood....to encourage a nice bushy evergreen mound.  For me they make nice foils then to summer and winter plants.

I would determine what your soil, including PH levels, and conditions are like and then  go online to check our what plants will grow there.  

12/01/2014 at 14:43

Doh! thank you Nutcutlet! Ive never really explored the site, just lurked around the forums.

Im quite lucky in one sense Verdun, most of my gardening is actually done in pots, so I can tailor my growing conditions. My OH designed the garden long before I moved in, and it comprises of a square of lawn (now astroturf as the little square of grass was nothing but weeds and moss), and a little skinny border that had conifers in (Now dug out). Most of my plants live in pots along the border, which lets me move them around.

29/03/2014 at 18:49

I don't think they're dull at all - as a friend says, When the broom's not in flower, then kissing's not in fashion. Mine seemed to flower for months last year.

Iles

Lyn
29/03/2014 at 20:01

When broom is in season, kissing's in reason.

30/03/2014 at 09:01

Some of my customers have broom ans they were in flower for  a good couple of months last year I think it depends on where you plant them or have them situated if in a pot.

email image
10 messages