London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
14 messages
03/03/2013 at 19:25
Any idea how a daffodil has managed to pop up in the middle of the lawn. It has a flower bud on it. Lived here about 7 years and don't recall seeing anything there before. Puzzled......
03/03/2013 at 19:29

They take quite a while from seed, maybe you missed the young leaves developing in the grass. 

03/03/2013 at 19:35

I've just seen an unexpected crocus due to pop up in the lawn. Every year Spring is a surprise to me but this one I know I wouldn't haven't planted there.

03/03/2013 at 19:47
Hollie hock, crocus pop up in my lawn too. They are promiscuous little things. Am I in the minority here when I say Im not sure if I really like crocus? They look nice for brief time in flower but they are weedy out of flower. A friend has several clumps of daffodils in her orchard ....she didn't plant them but an adjacent farmer's field is full of them for sale. They seed easily I think.
03/03/2013 at 20:05

So it is possible to grow them from seed if you don't mind waiting a few years for flowers?

03/03/2013 at 20:15
Yes, crocus pop up everywhere in my garden. Perhaps the leaves of the developing daffodil were mown out each year. If so I'm surprised the bulb has grown big enough to flower. Love surprises. It's going to look a bit silly, but I can't wait for it to flower.
03/03/2013 at 20:17

I would yes GG, although not tried it myself. I often wonder how the lovely drifts of spring flowers that we see in hedgerows etc get to be there in the first place.

03/03/2013 at 20:19
I usually dead head all the daffs but might leave a few and collect some seeds this year.
03/03/2013 at 20:21

What a lovely surprise Judith! I noticed today that there were some bulbs coming up on my lawn that I don't recall planting. Not daffodils though - not sure what they are going to turn out to be.

I have got some daffodils and crocuses in the lawn that I planted - would like to plant more next Autumn.

04/03/2013 at 08:13

I've always put bulbs popping up in unexpected places down to squirrels. I planted snowdrops in my back garden for years. They never flourished, but I got them coming up in the front garden where I didn't plant them.

I've now got them growing in the back after planting them in the green rather than bare bulbs

04/03/2013 at 10:27
Grape hyacinths pop up everywhere! They can be a nuisance but I do like them, I have some crocus that a neighbour threw out in a pot they are under the False Acacia tree they've self set in a lovel drift of purple
04/03/2013 at 18:54

I also get random crocuses and snowdrops popping up everywhere. Last summer I found an iris in a bed where I definitely didn't have any irises. I potted it up and its now got loads of leaves - can't wait to see what colour it turns out to be but I didn't know they could spread by seed?

11/05/2014 at 16:15

What function do daffodil seeds perform

11/05/2014 at 16:16

The same function as any other seed. It grows into a plant , flowers, and then forms more seeds....and so it goes on.

email image
14 messages